New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog hunting for New Englander?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Other than shooting boar at a preserve (I have twice shot at Vermont's Wild Hill and rather like it but it's expensive and really a bit tame) is there any place within say, a ten-hour drive where we can shoot hogs like I keep seeing in the postings? The hogs in the trail cameras are amazing and I would love to go someplace and shoot a few rather than go to a preserve. I would really like to drive so that I could take meat home in the van.

Any ideas?

Oxon

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You've got to head south......how far south are you willing to drive?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
This New Englander has learned to head south. FL is less than 4 hours away on a cheap plane ticket (don't think I've spent much more than $100 each way, and that's not much more expensive than driving a truck 7 hours), and there are plenty of hogs and outfits to choose from for short money. The last couple of trips down I spent like 4 days, and had plenty of time to both hunt and fish (oh, and drink). Do what floats your own boat, but the 'hunting preserve' thing in VT you refer to holds little interest for me.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
P.S. I've taken the meat home from my hogs. Bone it, freeze it solid if at all possible, and check it/ship it. No biggie. Piggie. Wink

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
P.S. I've taken the meat home from my hogs. Bone it, freeze it solid if at all possible, and check it/ship it. No biggie. Piggie. Wink

I have too -- cooler, dry ice, and duct tape......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
South?? what ya'll talkin bout? we don't got no hogs. bewildered

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
This New Englander has learned to head south. FL is less than 4 hours away on a cheap plane ticket (don't think I've spent much more than $100 each way, and that's not much more expensive than driving a truck 7 hours), and there are plenty of hogs and outfits to choose from for short money. The last couple of trips down I spent like 4 days, and had plenty of time to both hunt and fish (oh, and drink). Do what floats your own boat, but the 'hunting preserve' thing in VT you refer to holds little interest for me.

Can you recommend any?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've performed a mercy killing at Wild Hill....that is NOT hunting. It was, in fact, shooting livestock.....my hog had a tag in it's ear......and my hunt was over 10 minutes into the first morning.....and all 8 hunters had killed their boars before noon.

Although the accomodations were fine and the employees helpful enough, I wouldn't do that again.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
I've performed a mercy killing at Wild Hill....that is NOT hunting. It was, in fact, shooting livestock.....my hog had a tag in it's ear......and my hunt was over 10 minutes into the first morning.....and all 8 hunters had killed their boars before noon.

Although the accomodations were fine and the employees helpful enough, I wouldn't do that again.

Is it like a high fence place or something?

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mattyboy:
quote:

Is it like a high fence place or something?

It's about 2000 acres with a fence around it - it has bison, boar, ram, fallow deer and some other stuff. I shot boar there and it really wasn't much different than boar hunts I've been on in Azerbaijan - daylight, boar is driven and you shoot it.

Somehow it doesn't appear philosophically worse than getting them used to a feeder then bushwacking them under the feeder at night.

But I've never shot the wild hog and would like to which is why my initial query. I would ideally like to hunt for a few days and come back home with meat from 3 or 4 pigs.

Oxon

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Florida Slam Outfitters (www.floridaslamoutfitters.com) is in the pan handle of Florida and it's a free-ranging operation over several thousand acres. I have hunted there on a couple of occasions.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ya go Ox. whit. did you like hunting there? good service and all?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yeah I did. I shot a nice boar there a few years ago and a couple other smaller hogs. Plus, they're reasonably priced and eager to please. But, it's no gimme -- you've got to hunt.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
Somehow it doesn't appear philosophically worse than getting them used to a feeder then bushwacking them under the feeder at night.

Oh, no.....last time it was feelings.....now it's philosophy! When did hog hunting get so deep?!? rotflmo

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
It must have happened when I wasn't paying attention! shocker

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton, I have no idea what your problem is with my post, but you seemed to express a problem with shooting at Wild Hill (VT) and I was pointing out that tagging out at Wild Hill was not much different than shooting pigs under a feeder.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Norton, I have no idea what your problem is with my post.

No problem there friend......note the rotflmo icon. That time of the month?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

So what? What the hell ails you guys?

I don't see much difference between shooting a pig in a high-fence area or under a corn feeder. Or for that matter a driven pig in Eastern Europe.

Maybe the word "philosophical" bothers you - if that is the case go back to 5th grade.

I asked for advice and get a couple a-holes crapping up a discourse.

Yeah, look that one up too.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Norton, I have no idea what your problem is with my post.

No problem there friend......note the rotflmo icon. That time of the month?

Good Christ! Are all pig-hunters like you?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If by that you mean do we have a sense of humor, then yes.

Oxon....you need to lighten up there, bro. And if you think you're a bit too cerebral for this crowd you're sadly mistaken. Stop taking yourself so seriously.....

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Good Lord, take two 500 mg Midol and call me in the morning...

CRYBABY

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

So what? What the hell ails you guys?

I don't see much difference between shooting a pig in a high-fence area or under a corn feeder. Or for that matter a driven pig in Eastern Europe.

Maybe the word "philosophical" bothers you - if that is the case go back to 5th grade.

Woah! Slow down hotrod! What are you getting all hot under the collar about? This is the least formal and serious forum on this website and we all get along fine and we do joke around a lot. We had an episode recently with a guy that was suggesting that wild hogs have emotions, that is why Norton responded in the way he did and he was just pulling your chain.

That said, I disagree that shooting a hog in a high fence operation is just like shooting a free-ranging hog under a feeder. Difference is that the free-ranging hogs may or may not show up.......whereas the fence keeps the animals penned into one area. When they are free-ranging you need to attract and draw them in in some manner. I have killed hogs on game farms, free-ranging hogs, and yes, I have hunted them in Europe as well. Behind a fence you nearly always get your prey, but that isn't the case with free-ranging operations. I have come back from many a free-ranging hunt (with and without feeders) empty handed.

This is the wrong place to be thin-skinned.....

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:Maybe the word "philosophical" bothers you - if that is the case go back to 5th grade.

Wow! I overlooked this part! Would you like to compare your education to mine, Oxon? Because we like to hunt hogs doesn't mean we are inbred, and sporting IQs in the double digits. You don't know me and you have already labeled me "a-hole!" That must be a record. It usually takes folks a little longer to come to this realization. Big Grin

Now, that said, in the immortal words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?!"

Dude, chill out!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it that everytime I leave, a thread turns south? Confused

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Stop leaving! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stop leaving

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
apologies - yeah, I took it wrong.

I see your point re fence v. feeder but I thought that, in your original post, you were bashing me for word usage.

Sorry

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:... We had an episode recently with a guy that was suggesting that wild hogs have emotions, that is why Norton responded in the way he did .....

(my snip)

And this of course involves me.

Oxon

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
apologies - yeah, I took it wrong.

I see your point re fence v. feeder but I thought that, in your original post, you were bashing me for word usage.

Sorry

Not a problem, Oxon! All is good in hog huntin' land! No harm, no foul!

Hunting free-ranging hogs is a real crap shoot (so to speak). They are creatures of habit and a feeder with set times helps them develop a pattern, but it takes little to break that pattern.

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:... We had an episode recently with a guy that was suggesting that wild hogs have emotions, that is why Norton responded in the way he did .....

(my snip)

No, somebody else who shall remain nameless (I'll give you a hint: his name begins with "golden" and ends with "eye"). We went round and round about the cruelty of hunting hogs with dogs after mattyboy put up some great hog/dog hunting photos.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you seen my photos Ox?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

(my snip)

Take a joke, man......that's how it was intended. If you can't you'll be ravaged mercilessly....and for good reason. As I queried earlier, why such a serious tone about hog hunting? You won't win this fight, trust me.......so either go back to "Oxonia" and rejoin the debating team or lighten up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mattyboy- thanks for bumping that thread with the pix. Great photos - I've never seen a wild hog hog-tied. Hunted boar with dogs last about 30 yrs ago and lost a dog, didn't get a boar.

I originally posted a query about where to go to shoot hogs and got one good response. Thanks Whitworth.

Oxon

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Not a problem, Oxon. I know of some places even closer if Florida is too far. Your best bet is to fly as you will end up wasting too much time getting there -- time that could be spent doing more important things like hunting.

Semper Fidelis