Find
Notify
Tools

One to share .....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Was out last night with my 11 month Border Terrier bitch, Jinja. Sat in a high Kanzel with a thermal glassing deer, hare and a sounder of pigs three fields away. Was thinking of calling it a night around 01:00 when I spotted a single pig coming out of the woods behind my right shoulder and crossing a cabbage field.

I waited til the pig was half way over and barked it up and it stood. My Sauer 202 in 6,5x55 SE and the shot was good by the sounds of it. Through the thermal I saw the pig bolt in a large semi circle from the cabbage, across some wheat stubbles and into a big block of standing maize (or corn as you call it George!)!

I waited 10 mins and then climbed down. I put the Terrier on a long line and walked her to the cabbage field. I spotted some blood and after pulling up the dog and getting her to sit and concentrate, I put her on the trail. She flew across the trail out of the cabbage, across the wheat stubble and into the standing corn / maize. It was tough to keep up with her in the corn but I managed, pulling the trailing lead through the corn stalks, and after 20-30 m Jinja stopped and there on the ground was the dead pig! Fantastic!

A fat yearling sow that dressed out at 24 kgs! The shot was a bit low and took out the bottom of the heart.

I was thrilled! I would not have found that pig alone and have my 11 month Border Terrier to thank for a great tracking job. We have been training a fair bit and this was her third 'live scenario' so I am starting to think that she too is starting to know what she is doing! I got her specifically for blood trail work, driven hunts and for foxes and earthwork and I am more than pleased with her and will start her on driven boar this coming winter!

Today the dogs are on pig liver, lung and heart with rice!!

Happy days and Waidmannsheil!!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie--sounds like both of you had a great evening.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job for both of you!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, sure is Charlie!

Good to see someone is finding pigs.

Its plumb dead here for months.

Stay well,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good for you. How much for the pooch?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote