Dandy collection.
They going on a board?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George---don't know what I'll do with them--here is a young friend's Christmas present courtesy of her first--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Neat looking memento for a first pig, Good Job.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO:

That's nice, bet she's tickled to get it.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George--unfortunately, when they returned home to Central Asia, the climate is so dry/low humidity, the tusks just disintegrated--crumbled to bits. She'll be back next summer to start college, so she'll get another shot at them--

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation DO, while I have never had any crumble that I have done here in Texas, I have had several crack lengthwise over time.

Odd part is, I have not experienced the same with Javelina tusks.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard if you fill them with melted wax they won't deteriorate.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, run this by Huffaker, bet he can give
you the straight info on how to eliminate the problem.

Being her first pig, that had to of been painful for the girl.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Wax doesn't work to well. Use a resin/apoxy.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These were filled with silicone caulk--obviously not the right stuff. Might try a lanolin treatment to keep them from drying so badly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 30 yrs ago I used silicone to glue a big fancy $250 mirror on the drywall. It's eaten the plating away, big black streaks all over the place. Too big a deal to rip the wall apart and another mirror over top of it wouldn't work worth a Sht! Since I'm alone, it's waiting for the next guy and his woman to fix it! HA!

Since seeing that, I've gone to ONLY using DAP 40yr clear. Same use about the same time and no sign of this problem. Man it's dandy glue too, give it a try. I use it for most everything now.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Not an expert by far but I guess I have over 50 sets of warthog tusks in a basket on the coffee table in Joburg and some more in Germany.

When cleaned and dry I stick them in a cardboard box and over a few days I simply fill the cavity with off the shelf wood glue. Slow process to avoid bubbles and pockets of air. Then when dry I simply rub them over with baby oil and then oil them every 6 months.

Never had a crack or crumble since I started doing it this way.

Even the warty and bushpig shoulder mounts get their teeth oiled every 6 months .....

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charlie--I'll put your experience to good work--

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations very nice

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The key is not to boil if you can help it but to rot.

If you put the skull in a 5 gallon bucket and let them rot for 3 weeks, and every two or three weeks change out the water and pressure wash them off you don't destroy the strength of the bone. Takes more time, is 1000 times more disgusting, but makes for stronger pearly whites. Rotting does have one problem on skulls, it eats the non-bone tissue. So in a young pig, if you are saving the skull it will destroy their bone sutures as they haven't hardened enough to be solid. Of course you can glue them back together.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote