New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Texas Hog hunt??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a contact for hunting west Texas hogs? preferably around Lubbock...

Thanks

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know anything in Lubbock, but Bob Dailey over at Leprechaun Ranch has always done me and my family right. Located about 20 miles south of San Antone. (210) 626-3153.

Be ready for a hog hunt you have to work at to be successful!

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
HolyShit..
You know my Uncle Bob?

Roberto hugo Delion?

How was your last hunt? I am "Jeff" that he talks so bad about

jeffe

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaving this weekend for a ranch down NE of Del Rio. We will be hunting 4 days. Hunt includes 2 javelinas, all the hogs we care to shoot, lodging, meals, limited guide service, and cooler-$600. When I get back, I'll post whether the hunt was any good or not.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I sent ya a PM, but here's a pic of Bob and I after the hunt. I believe when the picture was taken, Bob was razzing me for not being able to keep up with him in tequila shots. He beat me 18 to 15. Woowee, I filled up the toilet, the bathroom sink, the kitchen sink, and the trashcan....and Bob had himself a good laugh the whole time.

[image]http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=2bd167ac-6406-cb3b-4809-6f9820fa7ac5&size=lg[/image]

My uncle, dad, and I all had tough but successful hunts. The thing I really like about Leprechaun Ranch is that although it is a high fenced ranch, it is very much fair chase. The terrain is tough with all the blackjack and sand, and I've never had a better stalk hunt than the ones I've done at Bob's. It generally takes me at least a day and a half to get my hog, and I have seen several hunters have to give up and shoot a pig from a stand near a feeder on their last day. 700 acres doesn't sound that big until you get out there and start stalking.

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn pic didn't work...

My last hunt I shot a 165lb boar with my Marlin 1894 .44mag and dropped the boar where it stood. My last day I went out in search of a 50 pounder for the BBQ pit, but instead I jumped a big sow and she took off before I could shoot. I heard some rustling in the brush and found a litter of 5 piglets! Took me a coupla minutes to run the little buggers down (boy are they quick!!!) but I managaed to catch one. Bob laughed his ass off and let me take it home. If I can figure out how to post pics correctly, I add a picture of "Lunchtime".

Tell Bob I said hi. He is a first class guy and a first class guide.

posted Hide Post
Hey Lubbockdave you have PM .....J

Posts: 2 | Location: Robert Lee,Texas | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lubbockdave: Check with the Crowell Chamber of Commerce (that's in Foard County, about half way from Lubbock to Wichita Falls). They're eaten up with wild hogs and I think you could find a place to hunt for a quite reasonable fee.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey
That's my uncle bob, alright!!

I'll reply to the email in a bit
jeffe

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, small world. A few years ago I took my son and nephew to Leprechaun for a piggie hunt and had a great time. Bob was a great host and we had a successful hunt. Great stalking experience there and unusual to be able to find the pigs bedded down during day time. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does the 3 day hunt mean 3 full hunting days?

Yes, we will hunt thursday afternoon through sunday @ noon.

3 morning hunts and three afternoon hunts, about an hour for lunch (and the cook is darned good)

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try Mike Kelly at the Spike Box Ranch in Knox county. They used to have a full time "hog trapper" to try to keep them in check, but now rely on hunters. Huge ranch, excellent facilities, knowledgeable folks - between geese and hog hunts, they keep pretty busy. You can find Mike in the phone book in Wichita Falls.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Four of us went hog hunting for 3 days at the Venado Grande Ranch - about 35 miles south of Uvalde, Texas, this past Jan. We collectively killed 28 hogs in 3 days.

Here are some pictures: We didn't feel like dragging ALL of the hogs out of the cooler for pictures.

What was left in the cooler.

We all had a great time.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lubbockdave,
If you would like Mike Kelley's number I'll PM it to you. The Spike Box has some great hunting on it.We just flat shot the heck out of greater and lesser Can. geese, and also went on a whitetail hunt there. It was great. I also have some family land around Sweetwater if your intrested.

liled

Posts: 88 | Location: Texas/colorado | Registered: 02 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen evidence of hogs all over our quail lease, but I haven't seen a hog in 3 years of heavy bird hunting. I guess I'm going to have to bait them and see if I can get out there one evening with a spotlight. They must be pretty hard to find.

Posts: 100 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote