Login/Join

one of us
posted
Whitworth- Hogs were taken in Hawaii

Sarge- Thanks thats me with the boar on my back, bringing home the bacon

My uncle with 130# boar 3 3/4" tusk

120# boar with almost 6 1/2" tusk

all hogs caught with dogs.

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Damn, UltraMag,that's a lot of tusk for a 120 lb boar! Seriously, out here in Florida, the sand prevents the hogs from developing long tusks. You'll get boar with more than 3-inch cutters, but it'll be really big. Unbelievable! I should move back to Hawaii.....

Whitworth

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Did you go with C.K. Yap or go on your own? I've wanted to hunt Hawaii for a long time and will eventually get there. I'm looking for combo ram and piggie hunt and if the dogs go along with a big knife, I've got one of those, too, though I should know better at my age.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitwoth- yeah it is a bunch of tusk for a boar this size, How does the sand affect tusk growth there in Fla. Where did you live when you were here? What Island?

Oldsarge- We hunt on our own ive heard of Yap who lives on a different Island than I do but have never hunted with him personally. We mostly hunt hogs with Dogs and Knife here.

Warthog from this years Safari in Namibia

if youre ever here in Hawaii and want to hunt shoot me an e-mail maybe can work something out.

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge- I live on Oahu so you no doubt can spend some time at the Hale koa. No worries on the conditioning a few of the guys I hunt with are 60+ yrs old and theyre fun to hunt with we always get a good laugh even if we dont hook up.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Ultramag,
Why thank-you. I will certainly keep that in mind, though from the look of the country, I will need a great deal of conditioning to be able to drag my aging self up and down those canyons! What island do you hunt on? I will logically base myself in the Hale Koa for at least a bit (gotta get those mil-ret'd perks sometime or another) but inter-island flights are soooo easy!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Dear Olsarge,

My sandy mug, coming back bluffed by buffs, a little warthhog in the land rover.

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

got alot more if needed also dog action.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ultramag -- great photos! Where were those hogs taken?

Whitworth

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a pic of the 2 I shot last night. Email me if you want them.

ryan_marine@yahoo.com

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ray -- post the pics, we'd love to see them! Oh, and Semper Fi (I'm a former jar head)

UltraMag, there is so much sand (in Central Florida, Southeast of the Tampa area near lake Okeechobee), that they grind their cutters down. Not saying that you can't find a hog with decent-sized cutters, but you won't find a 125-lb hog with 5 or 6-inches of tusk! Wow! I was stationed at Kaneohe Bay as young Marine in the early to mid-eighties and regret not taking advantage of all the island had to offer. I'm a bit smarter now (at least I think I am)!

Whitworth

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Whitworth yeah I see what youre saying by the way what a coincidence im a former Marine also LOL! OOHRAH!!! I live about 2 minutes from K-Bay now born and raised here. Actually my friend and I are beginning to hold workshops down at pearl harbor for military personel and let them know that there are oppurtunities to hunt. was hoping I could start this at K-Bay and Schofield also I am the Vice President of the Pig Hunters Association here on Oahu and would like to get more people involved in this sport be it with gun, dog, or bow. Also my brother now lives in Fla. not sure where though looks like I need to go visit him and hunt some Fla. hogs. My friend just caught a 125# Boar 2 weeks ago with almost 5" tusk he beat me out of 1st place for the yearly awards so far. I caught a 100# boar with 4 1/2" tusk at the beginning of the year oh well thats hunting
take it easy!!!

my friend George with a nice boar 3 3/4" tusk
SEMPER FI!!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
UltraMag -- 100 lbs with 4-inch tusks! Can't get over that. Great trophy opportunities. How's the meat? Do you have any really big boars there as well? Can you rifle or pistol hunt there?

Marine, huh? Looks like there are a few of us here.

Find out where your brother lives in Florida. There's good hog hunting over here and the weather is actually getting bearable at this time.

Whitworth

one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL!!! Yeah I know its hard to believe sometimes. It gets better years ago my dad and I caught some crazy sized hogs like these 55# boar 4 7/8" tusk,60# boar with 5 1/4" tusk in fact last years winner was my friend who caught a 65# boar with 4 1/2" tusk and the list goes on its not super common but does happen enough to keep you wondering.

The outright best ive ever seen was caught last year by a friend of mine and this I believe must be some kind of record he caught a 108# SOW WITH 8 1/2" TUSK!!!!!!! I couldnt believe it and had to go and see it at the scaling station to check it out I WAS SPEECHLESS!!! My largest to date for a sow was 3 3/4 inches and I thought that was huge for a sow. My friend called me up yesterday and said he caught a boar last week with 10 1/2" tusk that curled back into his jaw so the big ones are still out there.

As far as the meat goes I LOVE IT!!! We do have really big boars here but moreso on the other islands 150# for my island is a very big boar you do catch bigger ones now and then but not to common. My personal best was 385# dressed weight with dog and knife it was a rush. Yes, you can hunt with rifle and pistol here.

Yeah need to find out where he lives I think its in the Panhandle somewhere.

Take it easy!!!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You might try posting a request on the Texas Outdoors Hog Hunting Message Board. The board has been down for a while for maintenance/software upgrades but is back up now. The photo albums still appear to be down but there are several hog hunters there that post quite a few pictures.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, sure let me know i'll see what I can do most people I know hunt on the weekends also most hunting is with dogs and knife if this is OK with you.

Ken Dias rings a bell but I cant put a face to the name.

nice feral in texas by the way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a kick.. I'm looking forward to it.