Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire!
 Login/Join

posted
Went to check the game cam for my new hunting spot I posted about a couple of weeks ago. To my shock it was ablaze in a brush fire. After the FD got it put out I went back this morning and found a swath burned through the middle of the properety, as I checked the game cam at dawn the wind came up and it reignited about 500 yards from me! Also I saw a huge buck that was limping at about the same time, I imagine he hit a fence during the night time ruckus with water trucks etc.

Anyway, my question to those who experienced fires this year, how long til regrowth occurs. In the long run it may be benficial as now I have a wide shooting lane that I hope with sprout new growth this spring.

PS Pig pipes dont melt Smiler...

Posts: 62 | Location: Sugar Land, TX | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How Long? If you get a little water on it, you'll be surprised how fast it greens up. Animals will love the new "salad" too.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's in a place like Rocky Mtn National Park it will grow very fast !

one of us
posted Hide Post
In South Texas? About twenty-four hours after the first decent rain.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Missouri Department of Conservation recommends that you burn off the trees land every year, or at least every other year. Thay proved it helps with the quality of the new browse that comes up. In Kansas they burn off the Flint Hills prairie every year. If it rains, the good stuff comes back immediately.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bear Creek fire in East Texas destroyed about 50 thousand acres. When I say destroyed, I mean a lot of that land was reduced to bare dirt with some areas having been left with standing charred tree trunks!
I expect that with resaonable rain through late spring, there will be lots of low foliage before end of April. The fires happened back around Sept, and by this past Dec, I was seeing some green in places, even though rain had still been sparse.
By the end of the third year of regeneration growth (sometime in late 2014) it will be difficult to see over the 5 to 8 foot of foliage.
The challenge will be that with so much area decimated, much of the big game would have migrated to surrounding areas. It may take 2 to 3 years before there is a redistribution of game throughout the area. Some areas did not see as much of an impact by the fire and those areas may be fantastic havens for the animals that didn't leave the area.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guess I will pray for rain.

Looked at the came cam, this looks the the guy that way limping around.

Posts: 62 | Location: Sugar Land, TX | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a hell of a forest fire west of here about 5-6 yrs ago. We went up right after it was put out, things were still smoking a bit and really stunk. Nothing left except black everything and tree trunks burned, tops burnt out of the tall pines. IT was what's called a "Topper".
Two yrs later I went back to check it out and couldn't tell it had ever burned until I looked at the tall pine trunks that were still blackened.
Even most of those that had the tops burned off were showing green up top again.
Amazing!
I sure wouldn't be concerned about it much down there. Just wait til rain falls and give it a couple months. By then you'll need to get the mower in there to keep those trails opened.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fire is required by a number of different trees and plants in australia they will not open there seed pods until a fire has been through.

The greenie tree huggers here have stopped back burning/hazard reduction burns in a lot of areas so when a fire does go through every thing is distroyed including homes and business because there is so much ground fuel. when a big fire goes through it takes years for the bush to regenerate.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote