New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowhunting for Pigs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about getting a bow to shoot some pigs as something fun to do in the general hunting offseason. How many of you guys archery hunt, specifically for pigs? Do you generally like to hunt them over some type of feeder or watering hole? Is it really as fun as everyone says it is?

I'm hoping to move from pigs to deer to some other type of game if I enjoy it and more importantly I'm good enough at it. Is bowhunting generally something that takes years of practice before you feel competent enough to go after anything in the lower 48?

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am novice bow hunter. I shot a bit of archery as a kid and gave it up.

I was invited to go bow hunting in South Africa three years ago. So I went down and tried out several different bows.

The answer to your question is no it does not take years of practice to get good enough with a bow to hunt every species in the lower 48.

Once you get the basics down shooting a modern bow is really quite a bit more simple than you'd think. I was shooting tight groups out to 40 yards with in two weeks of practicing.

These new bows are just real user friendly. Shoot with sights and a mechanical release and it's really no harder than shooting an iron sighted rifle.

They key to good archery shooting are once you have the basics of what you should be doing, practice. Set up a target and shoot 15 to 20 arrows a day. You'll be shocked at how tight your groups will become, in short order you'll want to be purposly aiming to widen your groups so as not to hit and damage your other arrows.

The other REALLY crucial thing about archery hunting is knowing your range. If you misjudge by 10 yards you can very well wound or miss your target. This of course becomes more crucial the further out your target is.

The other answer to your question is yes bow hunting is a lot of fun.

I've killed a zebra two kudu a warthog and an impala with a bow. I also have killed a ferral hog and completley missed an elk with one. (That range thing.)

Another thing that as a bit shocking to me is how fast and effciently a well placed arrow kills.

I recomend bow hunting. It fun it's good exercise. And over all it's just a really neat experience.

I chose a Matthews Q2 and can whole heartedly recomend the Matthews product overall. There are lots of good bows out there however so go and try a few before choosing one.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
One of my clients managed to get a blade through the heart of this boar at about 12 yards a couple weeks ago. The pig fell in 40 or 50 yards.

We were hunting spot and stalk. It was missed at about 40 and then we lucked into them again in thick cover.

I've already forgotten the details. It seems like he was shooting a PSE.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
God had bowhunters in mind when he let all them hogs loose to go wild in Texas.
Give me a holler and I'll help as much as I can getting you ready to stick some pigs.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I chose a Matthews Q2 and can whole heartedly recomend the Matthews product overall. There are lots of good bows out there however so go and try a few before choosing one.

Thanks for the advice. How do you go about trying different bows before choosing one? Are you talking about just the feel of them at the store or actually taking them out and using them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
He means to try to find a proshop that has several brands and will you you shoot them in their shop. I personally don't follow this "get what ever feels good to you" advise for beginners. You're a beginner, how the heck are you supposed to know how a good bow should feel.
Main thing is to get a bow with the proper draw length for yourself and then practice, practice, practice. Join a shooting league and shoot with them. There you will get a lot of guidance and coaching.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Join a shooting league and shoot with them. There you will get a lot of guidance and coaching.

These can be good places to get advice but beware the ones who are giving a lot of advice without being asked for it. I found in the local club their were 1 or 2 guys that would run to the new guys and overwelm him with useless information just leaving you more confused. I'm lucky that one of the top provincial shooters is a real cool guy and the owner of the bow shop where I get all my archery stuff. Having someone who knows take the time to help fit you to a bow is priceless.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When younger, I shot in a bowhunter league--all animal silhouettes on a field archery course at unmarked distances (don't think rangefinders existed, and wouldn't have been allowed if they did). I also shot in an indoor league. Boy did that do wonders for my form. All those folks watching me--had to do it right!

So, join a league or two and shoot, shoot, shoot.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
He means to try to find a proshop that has several brands and will you you shoot them in their shop. I personally don't follow this "get what ever feels good to you" advise for beginners. You're a beginner, how the heck are you supposed to know how a good bow should feel.

That;s kind of what I was getting at. I'm not sure I'd know what felt like it fit or didn't if I shot 5 different bows since I've never done this before.

What about brands? Are there any brands that a beginner should definitely avoid? I don't want to buy the top end or the bottom end. Also, I'd guess that it's not a good idea to buy something used since everyone seems to think I should get fitted for whatever I get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason - can you bring your bow when you come down here in a couple of weeks? I'd love to try it out and we might even get a chance to smack a pig with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker, where in Texas are you. And how tall are you? Trying to get some idea of what your draw length should be? Ther are several ways to get within a starting points but the only sure way is to draw a bow and get measured by someone with some knowledge of proper form.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Dallas but I grew up and still have family in the San Antonio area. That's where I hunt, generally.

I'm 6'0 tall with kind of a stocky build (overweight).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you going to be down here any time soon. I own a couple of bows draw length at 28.5" and 29"
They would probably be real close to your fit and we could shoot them some and see how you do.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You could be real cool and borrow my recurve! It's a real challenge -- or would be if I ever shot it. I am prepared to guarantee that I can hit the broad side of a barn with it (at a short distance).

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles - I'm afraid if I started with a recurve I'd be just like you...a guy with a bow that never hunts.

Walker - thanks, I might take you up on that. I'm going to be down there this weekend but I'm flying in on Saturday afternoon and flying back out on Sunday. My brother in law is coming back to Texas from his first tour in iraq with the marines so we're visiting with him shortly and then heading back. I'll be back down there in about a month and I'll see if you have anything going on as it gets a little closer (about march 10th).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll still be here then. Give me a holler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do your PM's work? I sent you one yesterday or the day before. I'll PM you in a couple of weeks.

By the way, where do you shoot? Do you live in the city of SA?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
Charles - I'm afraid if I started with a recurve I'd be just like you...a guy with a bow that never hunts.

I'd shoot it more but I got the double rifle which adds a bit of a challenge to the hog hunts with open sights, and now my daughter wants in on the hunting. Also, in my neighborhood I feel conspicuous shooting even a bow. I would not shoot a compound more. Of course, you are not as lazy as I am so I bet you will shoot whatever you get more than I would!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it works RS but I didn't notice it. I shoot in my yard, I have 1.5 acres and I live in Leon Vally just off Bandera rd.
You have a pm

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
It has already been said, but it is vital, so I will emphasize it: accurate range estimation - get good at it.

The other thing I found in my years of bowhunting is that you need to practice like you will hunt. If you are going to shoot from an elevated stand, practice that. Practice kneeling shots if you will be still hunting. Crouch down and simulate shooting under limbs. Wear the clothes you hunt in to see if anything gets in the way of free movement or the bowstring.

Practice! With an accurate rifle and a good zero, most everyone can be successful. It takes more than good equipment to stick an animal in the boiler room with a bow.

BTW, this is about as much fun as you can have without getting nekkid! I still (after 15 years of this) get a tight chest and a huge rush from it.

One last thing - hone your tracking skills. They will run. If the shot is good, most deer will fall within 60 yards or so. Some may go 200 before they fall.

Did I mention practice?

Have fun!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Practice kneeling shots if you will be still hunting. Crouch down and simulate shooting under limbs.

Try hunting small game for practice like this. Small target, unkown distances, and tight brushy places to shoot through. Plus this is the type of practice that results in stew meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bow hunting should be banned!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You must be a LSU grad.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bow hunting should be banned!

Good luck with that, Mrs. Clinton