New
Find
Notify
Tools

lazy-boy chair hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was sitting in the lazy-boy, doing battle in the ARPF, when my wife came into the living room. She said that she was getting her binoculars as she thought she saw a troop of hogs in the field across the road from our house.

My wife's eyesight is not that good, I figure she was probably seeing some cattle as it was close to dusk. She came back in the house and said that what she saw, was indeed hogs. I still wasn't totaly convienced, but got off the political forum and ran to my truck and got my truck gun as it was already loaded. My truck gun is a Scmidt & Ruben 7.5 straight-pull action rifle topped off with a 4x Redfield scope.

I got across the road in front of the house and settled in along the fence-line that parallels the road. Looked across the field and right in front of me was a herd of hogs about 175 yds out. I picked out a decent one walking to me at an angle and squeezed off a round. The sight picture at the shot put the shot too far back. The hogs took off across the pasture. The one I shot at had a small glitch to his hitch. I then picked out another hog and fired, and another, and fired again. I was glad to have that smooth action Schmidt working for me, cause follow ups were easy as pie. Had to follow up on the sow in the middle. The land owner showed up with some dogs just minutes later and we tried to put them on what was left, but strangely with no success. He must have thanked me 5 times for shooting these vermin, and encouraged me to hunt his place with my dogs. Good way to make a friend I guess.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Larry, maybe a bench on the front porch in your future?

Can't help but love a good smooth action.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2+1

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine has an acquintance that keeps his rifle next to his lazyboy. He apparently has a perfect view of not just the TV but also the feeder below the house. Seems his wife has learned to cover her ears at the sound of the window sliding open.

Good shooting Larry!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Larry!! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, all in all, one of the easiest hunts i've made.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job. Those Schmidt/Rubins are some fine old rifles, all pretty spot on accurate too.

Posts: 41860 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, love the old straight-pull, and it is accurate. Makes a great knock-around gun. I'm thinking about getting me another LazyBoy with a rifle scabard, behind my bench on the front porch. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in hearing about your K31 scope mount.

I have a couple of K31s and they are among my favorite rifles.

I even have one that was unissued. Zero use, brand spanking new, with no name tag.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Pork down!! I hope you thanked your wife......

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
I'd be interested in hearing about your K31 scope mount.

I have a couple of K31s and they are among my favorite rifles.

I even have one that was unissued. Zero use, brand spanking new, with no name tag.

WOW, you must have some rifle there. I don't remember what the brand of the mount is, but I found it on Shooting & Collecting Surplus Rifles website. Go to the Swiss or Straight-Pull forum, not sure what it is called, and you will see what folks have done to scope their rifles.

The mount I have places the scope off-set to the right, which sounds bad, but you'd be suprise how well this works in practice. I hardly even notice it's off-set. The mount uses existing screws on the receiver, so no tapping or drilling, easy as pie to go in reverse. It is rock solid, and not expensive, about 70 dollars or so when I bought mine. I hope this helps, if not let me know and I'll do some more research.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Pork down!! I hope you thanked your wife......

Bob

I don't remember if I did or not. She was a bit peeved that I left the sows where they fell. Just too hot to fool with pork.

Bob it's been too hot for me to play with the encore, when it cools off some I'll keep you posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, made my week actually. The 7.5 Swiss is such a neat round, sort of a 30x284win. I need to reload some more rounds, love to play with it. I believe it can do anything the 30/06 can.

stir