Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

One of Us
posted
T/C Encore in .454 Casull, 12" bbl., Hornady 250gr. XTP, M.V. 1800fps.
Good for big boar. or should I go for a heavier slug?
Thanks.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Sounds just fine! I have been blessed with the chance to do brain surgery on a feral hog in the past with my .454 loaded with 300gr XTP's, and it was a great success Smiler

You will enjoy it

Whitworth will suggest Doubletaps heavy stuff but I cannot comment on the Double Tap stuff....yet Smiler

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Have a friend that has used 260 grain hollowpoints (don't remember the make) on numerous hogs at I believe 1700 fps -- but he mainly head shoots them.

I used my Casull (7.5-inch Super Redhawk) on a hog a couple of months ago, loaded with 400 WFNs at roughly 1400 fps with a behind the shoulder shot and it dropped on the spot with a complete pass-through.

Here's a pic of the hog (a hair over 200 lbs).

I prefer heavy hardcast bullets in all of my handguns. They offer more by way of penetration from any angle that the pig offers. Just my preference.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Good call, Justin! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
beer

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if the 250 gr are the XTP mags, I think it is the 240 gr that is the XTP MAG. I wouldn't shoot the non mags in the 454, the bases aren't designed for the pressure and may expand in the throat and cause pressure problems. Other than that, that weight has served the 44 mag for many moons, the 454 should do well with them as well.

Personally, I like the 300 gr XTP mag, the 300 gr Feedom Arms flat nose, and the 300 gr Cast Performance flat nose gas check.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Bore,
I got the load I am using directly from the Hornady manual, and they show the same 250 grainer that I am using. I have no idea if this is their magnum bullet, but I don't think that they would list a load that might possibly cause a problem.
In any case, I have been thinking of giving a 300 grainer a try. I would much prefer a soft point to a hollow point for boar, as I really like deep penetration. Have never tried cast bullets as I am a bit concerned over possible leading problems at high velocities with a lead slug. Can you comment?
Thanks to all for the responses.

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yankee Doodle -- I can't comment on really high velocities with cast bullets, but at the speeds that my SRH pushes them (1400 fps give or take), there is no leading. You don't really need to push them too fast. Heavy hard cast bullets tend to penetrate really well and quite frankly I prefer them to expanding bullets at pistol velocities. Remember that you are already making a .45 caliber hole!

Keep us posted! Handgun hunting boar is whole-hell-of-a-lotta fun!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yankee Doodle:
Big Bore,
I got the load I am using directly from the Hornady manual, and they show the same 250 grainer that I am using. I have no idea if this is their magnum bullet, but I don't think that they would list a load that might possibly cause a problem.
In any case, I have been thinking of giving a 300 grainer a try. I would much prefer a soft point to a hollow point for boar, as I really like deep penetration. Have never tried cast bullets as I am a bit concerned over possible leading problems at high velocities with a lead slug. Can you comment?
Thanks to all for the responses.

Food for thought on the XTPs, both the bullets shown in my Hdy manual are the Mags (red cover, I think its the 3rd ed.).

The hard cast bullets don't tend to lead much if at all. I have used the gas checks, but most use the non GC bullets without much leading. I have found that softer bullets will lead a bit, but the best thing I have found to remove lead is the outer foul out (electrolosis) bore cleaner.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I hunted and guided a lot of hunters with 45colts and 454s and they are adecuated ,your hornady will work very good .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wello, that settles it. As far as I am concerned, Dr. Pozzi is "The Man" as far as boar hunting is concerned. I only wish that I were able to afford a trip to Argentina to hunt with him.
In any case sir, I thank you for your response.

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
My Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, 5th Edition does not list Casull data for the 250gr XTP/HP-only the 240gr and 300gr XTP/Mags. I agree with Big Bore's opinion of only loading the XTP/Mag version in your Casull. I've chronied velocities in excess of 1800 fps with the 240gr variety out of my 7.5in barreled FA 83. You should be able to safely exceed that velocity with your 12in barrel.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote