New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Years Eve Pork
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went hunting with an old muzzleloader that I built from a kit in 1983 this morning. This guy came in to feed under some oaks and he will be the guest of honor at a New Years Ever cookout tonight. Happy New Year everyone.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice photo! paint hog, dark tusks, and a classic rifle. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congratulations.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks very much like my .50 cal CVA Mountain Rifle I built from a kit many years ago. Did you use patched, round balls, or some other type of projectile? I've not used mine on hogs as I've been too lazy. Guess I really should get after it.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,

I used TC 370gr Maxis sitting on 85 gr of Black Mag 3. The bullet went completely through and wasted very little meat. For some reason, this rifle won't group round balls. I have tried various patch sizes, increased and decreased powder charges etc etc, but to no avail. It likes the Maxis though, and other than the fact it kicks lick a mule with them, I have no complaints. They kill every thing I shoot very dead.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I was in bed with bronchitis all over the holiday... Frowner

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Sorry you were sick. I have a knee problem with my right knee that kept me down a little, but I wrapped it up in a brace and went limping into the woods. Luckily I was able to drive my Ranger right to the hog and got him out easily. I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow morning to hopefully find out what is wrong. Hope you feel better soon.