New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my first wild boar!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from my first wild pig hunt in Oklahoma, what an awesome time!

My guide Lester Hawkins Jr was a great guide.

After sitting out all day Thur I had no luck, the hogs were hitting the feeders hard but I didn't see anything all day. The weather was aweful with lots of rain and wind which made things tough. To the north and west of us OK city got hit with some twisters.

We decided to spot and stalk on Friday morning. The nice thing was it stopped raining hard only about an hour or two prior to day light so we knew what tracks were fresh. We ended up tracking them through the thick stuff for about a mile or so.

We came in to some thick brush and bumped 4 hogs but there was no clear shot at first. Lester spotted a hog but we could only see his back and I didn't want to guess on a shot. He noticed a weed shacking wildly near a downed tree but he thought it might be a piglet.

At this point we decided to swing around and at that moment a boar came out at about 20 yards. I quickly raised my rifle, a .270 sauer 202, and pulled the trigger. The pig dashed off.

I looked at Lester and he had that look on his face, the one that says "did you just miss him at 20 yards"!

I said, Lester that shot felt good but the pig had no other reaction other then bolting, I was worried but damn it that shot felt good!

We walked up and I spotted some frothy lung blood, Lester seemed happy and surpised. We followed a pretty good lung blood trail down a little ravine and then back up. As we crested the hill I saw him, or at least I thought I did. As we got closer it was in fact my hog!

He wasn't huge, probably only 100 pounds, maybe a little under but he was beautiful to me and a boar to boot!

I had hit him well just a little behind the shoulded and less then halfway up. I had taken out at least one lung but do to the angle I put it though his stomach and it exited a little above halfway up and right through the last rib. His intestines had pushed out through the hole pugging it from losing any blood on that side.

I still can't believe I did it and I shot it the way I wanted to, spotting and stalking and off hand with no rest.

I can't wait to go again!

[URL= ]Hog[/URL][URL= ]My guide[/URL]

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Great job Geoff!! Congratulations! Welcome to our addiction! I'll bet this isn't the last hunt report you post! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh I almost forgot. After we found my hog we went back to the "shaking weed" to see if it was a piglet. Well it was no piglet! It was a hog about the same size but it bolted and presented no shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. The wild hogs make great sausage. I have killed on in a long time but in my younger days in South Ga I hunted with some guys that caught them alive to sell to preserves. I am older and smarter now.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the boar Geoff!
Just like with a lot of things, your first boar is the one you'll remember forever.

Posts: 4150 | Location: Adirondack Mountains, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pig, good shooting. thumb
Wild pigs are one of my most favorite animals to hunt. And to eat. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoff,

Congratulations on your first hog, Btw nice rifle I like the Sauer 202 a lot.

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roland1:
Geoff,

Congratulations on your first hog, Btw nice rifle I like the Sauer 202 a lot.

Roland

I recently bought a 300 wby mag Sauer 202 and liked it so much I picked up this one in 270. Being able to pull the rear stock off and travel with a much smaller package made flying with it a real pleasure. So far everyone who has seen it has complimented it and asked about.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good on ya!!!! And, those tenderloins are great in a stir fry, or simply sauteed in butter with a touch of Worchestershire Sauce!!!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good for you. I can tell by your smile that you had a great time.......someday I would like to hunt Oklahoma as well. cheers If you will, tell us how we can contact this man.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the first one.
Nothing wrong with that.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Good for you. I can tell by your smile that you had a great time.......someday I would like to hunt Oklahoma as well. cheers If you will, tell us how we can contact this man.

The ranch was recently sold and 4/6 is Lesters last day there. When I find out where he is going I'll post the info.