New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45.70 Trapdoor load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to use an early 1900 Winchester 1886 for an upcoming hog hunt. Does anybody have any experience/suggestions about appropriate "Trapdoor load" and ballistic info? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman's cast bullet book; Accurate Arms and Hodgdons all have good trapdoor loads. Make sure you crimp the bullets good to get proper ignition. Nosler 300 grain partitions are a good bullet. IMR or H 4198; XMP5744 & IMR-SR4759 have all provided good trapdoor loadings for me. Do not use the loads in the Nosler book for your trapdoor!

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, if you haven't already, have the gun checked by good smith. Tell the smith what you intend to do.

As already stated, the Lyman book is good. Also, you might be interested in http://www.loadbooks.com They have a book dedicated to the 45-70. It is nice to be able to flip through several loads to compare. The lyman loads are probably the most conservative and also the safest.

Will most cartridge makers state they are producing loads for the trap door, they are actually expecting you to have one in very good condition. As they load their ammo in the 20,000 to 27,000 psi range. Lyman has some loads that well below that.

I assume you will want to use cast bullets. A good source, if you don't cast them yourself, is LeadHeads Bullets, http://www.proshootpro.com They have hard cast, both with and without gas checks.

I use their 425 grn fngc in my Marlin 1895 and can produce some very good groups.

Enjoy,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Leadheads are GREAT bullets. Also try Beartooth Bullets and Cast Performance. All are excellent bullets.

I use a Contender carbine in .45-70 and use "Trapdoor level" loads (less than 28,000 psi). I recommend the Hogdon Annual Manual for some load suggestions. One that I use (for deer) is the Sierra JHC with 54 gr. of H322 for about 1800 fps from my 24" barrel. This duplicates the factory "express" loadings by Remington and Federal which is why I use it.

I'm looking for a good 400 gr. bullet but at these velocities (not more than 1800 fps) it will probably be cast and an LBT design.

Try posting this question on the Cast Bullet forum here at AR. Those guys shoot a lot of this level load and probably have some great suggestions.

I should add that the Hogdon Manual shows charges of 40-50 gr. Varget for 1718 fps, 40-48 gr. H4895 for 1645 fps, 47-50 gr. Benchmark for 1695 fps or 27-31 gr. H4198 for 1459 fps. All with the 405 gr. cast LFP and all are "trapdoor loads" of under 21,000 CUP.

I personally will use the H4895 since that is what I have on hand.

[ 11-16-2003, 17:39: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I also have a T/C Contender carbine in 45-70 but with a 22" barrel and a Magnum KICK-EEZ recoil pad. I have been loading 48gr H322 with the 400gr Speer bullet @ 1600 to 1620 fps, but have just started using Laser Cast 430gr GC with 47grs H322 @ 1530 to 1550 fps. I'm very happy with the accuracy of both loads. I have a Leupold Vari-X 11 1X to 4X scope on this rifle.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Moki,

Pretty cool aren't they? I have the Rynite stock on mine and with the factory pad. It is fine to me. At first the recoil was "impressive" but now I guess I'm used to it.

I've heard that the Speer bullet is a bit "soft" but I've no personal experience. What's your opinion?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote