New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unsuspecting Hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Traveled to McCook last Thursday to do a little hunting of some hogs that had never been dogged. They had never seen a dog but they certainly knew what a pickup and rifle was. We were hunting in a 1200 acre bloc of crp that was surrounded by cropland. The hogs were coming out in the crops at night and wrecking havoc. All we had to do was drive on the downwind side of the desert willow thickets and when the dogs would bark(usually Quirt) let them go and it wouldn't be but a couple of minutes we were bayed. Let catch dogs go and catch the pig. No breaking, running or anything. Not even any thorns to mess with. In all we caught 15 hogs with the largest being a 175 lb boar. When I left Sunday morning all the dogs were sore footed, including me.

Here is what the country looked like.

The rig

some action shots

I didn't get any pictures in the willow thickets because all you see was bushes.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
One day I'm gonna have to do a dog-hog hunt with a knife or spear.

And I can't quite explain it, but I do love seeing those dogs up-armored like that.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do you do with them once the are caught?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome work!!

love that hogdoggin

Great job duckman!!!

tu2 tu2

beer

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 01 April 2010 20:04 Hide Post
(what do you do with them once they are caught.)

I eat what I can and give away the rest.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
love that hogdoggin

I started doing this 25 yrs ago. I am 65 yrs old and I intend to keep it up as long as I can. However, if I think I am a liability to the dogs, I will quit.