New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual area for hunting hogs, with photos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well my hunting partner and I found this hog area near an Indian reservation. We think the hogs have been in here a very long time. It seems they must have wandered off the reservation and have lived wild here for a whille now. Maybe 20 years or so? Who knows. Anyway the difficulty of getting in there is significant as there are only game trails and no way to get any transportation but a horse, or a Rokon into the area. The landscape is filled with boulders and big rocks and just shoulder to shoulder sagebush. There are no roads or decent/ consistant trails. You either hike in or wander the game trails on the Rokon until you can get close to the game to fetch it.

Anyway, He went way overboard setting this hunt up. The feeders and the area were so well scouted that we had really easy early success. The bigger difficulty was getting the hogs out for a few miles through this difficult terrain.

He hunted the bait the first morning and arrowed a hog within an hour. It was a nice fat sow. She was about 175 pounds. His arrow blew right through and was never found. The ground blind he had constructed was giving him shots slightly up hill. There are no trees in this area. The bush is thick with sagebush. I loaded that sow and we drove him and the pig back to the area we parked. He took care of that one and I went to the same blind. I Parked the rokon about 500 yards away and slowly walked in. The wind was pretty stiff in my face. About 300 yards closer to the hide I heard some pigs fighting. They sounded close but I thought the wind might have been carrying the sound. I waited and could hear them within 50 yards or so. I climbed a small rock out crop and decided to glass the flat below me. I heard them fighing again and the sound was really close, ........as in shooting distance close! I slowly creeped up the the top on the other side of this ridge and could hear them right below me. I was afraid to peek over the edge for fear they would see me.

I inched to the very edge and looked over with a single eye while lying on my belly. There were two boars and a sow. The sow was the one squeeling and running in circles as the boars tried to "do her" and fight each other. At one point the sow was mounted and the second boar mounted the first one so all three were stacked together. It was bizzare to be this close, I was within 25 yards now and could not move. The sow moved to my right into the bush and the two boars were fighting facing straight away. None were looking my way. I quickly kneeled and ranged the nearest boar at 26 yards. They continued fighting and trying to sniff around that sow until one was standing quartering away at about 22-24 yards. I drew and burried the arrow quartering away into the boar about 2/3 of the arrows length. He let out a huge squeal and spun 180 degrees facing me probably thinking his rival was there.

The other boar and sow trotted away and this boar followed but was unable to use his front right leg. I shot him well back of the front legs so I was not sure why? He only went about 60-70 yards and began thrashing about. I slowly snuk in and he ws dead. I took the photo's you see here and loaded hom back to the camp. My hunting partner sat at the bait that night with no activity. I butcherd my hog that night and the next morning. He sat at the bait in the morning and stuck another big boar.

The first one I took from the side of the cliff

another photo of the same boar.

He hit it high and it dissapeared. We spent the rest of the day searching and saw very little blood. We finally saw the boar with the arrow still inside him and sticking up. We followed along as the boar would only run ahead and stop. My partner went around the small mountain of rocks and I went to the top to glass. As he was folloing the hog It came right towards me and just below. I stuck an arrow right between his shoulders and he ran for about 50 yards and died on the run in a huge plume of dust.

So we each shot two hogs but only have three. That was enough work for the day and we finished up the butchering and departed.

loaded and ready to roll to our camp

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a fresh bit of experience with the Slick Tricks the last three days on the only American Pachyderm, The wild hog.

I will explain the performance with the photos.

In the other thread I wrote about the quartering away shot with the hog unable to run with his right front leg. I did not know why as it was a quartering away shot from above him. When I was skinning him the arow was still lodged into his body and I could not pull it free. Upon opening him up and trying to remove the arrow it was still lodged much to tight to get out. Here is the photo showing the arrow completely through the body cavity.

It was embedded into the front leg. I finally pryed it loose and pulled it free. No broken blades and the tip looks perfect, almost as if it was never even used.

After getting it out of the leg bone you can see the head is in perfect shape. Looking closely you can also see the four blade entry through the back ribs.

Here you can see the right "armpit" where the braodhead finally came to rest. Look at the damage to the tissue around this area. It looks almost as if it were shot with a 30/06. I have killed quite a lot of big game with a 30/06 and even with a premium bullet I doubt more penetration would have been likely.

Of the hogs we shot only one arrow was a pass through. It's my opinion that the best shot on a wild boar(male) is a qurtering away shot where you can get in behind that 1" thick nearly impenetrable "fiberglass like" shield of armor. I also think withany bow under 70 pounds you should not take a shot longer then 25 yards broadside. The thick gristle plate stopped arrows from 70 pound bows at 20 yards without poking through the off side!

These American Pachyderms are tough!

The Rokon by the way is easy to balance because you don't need your feet to operate anything. The TRansmission is automatic. Your feet are like outriggers just walking/ crawling it through, over, and around anything in your way

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow JJ Nice one, that looks to be a very strange area brushy and remote. Is it hard to balance the Rokon with the large pork saddle bags?? Great story thanks for posting. Rug

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote