Notify
Tools

Re: Only two weekends before my hunt!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Remember, leave one for me, lol.

That's really coincidental because I'll be out with Tom the weekend after you and it is my first paid/guided hunt too.

Hmm, it hadn't occured to me that a backup gun might be a good idea. I was so focused on using the .308 Mauser I built and getting a load to shoot well that I overlooked the obvious. I finally settled on some 165 grain Hornady light magnum loads. They shot an honest inch in the rifle whereas my limited handloads development only netted 1.5" groups. That Hornady ammo is really stout too.

Hmm, what to take as backup? The trusty old .30-06 or the Marlin .45-70 CB? Man, now I have to squeeze in at least one more trip to the range to sight in the backup.

Dago Red, keep us posted on how you do and good luck!!!!

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty good luck with the heavier bullets (250's)in my .35 whelen. Heavier bullets work better at moderate vels around 2200fps. When I used a .270, there was too much destroyed meat.
Big hogs need big bullets placed well. Remember it's a sin to shoot the ham!
Good luck hunting, pic's please!

Posts: 4 | Location: California | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am not sure about my ability. when I hunt deer I am confident, but I don't have money on the line. now I will have money on this and he is saying shots will be between 100 and 200yds. I don't practice very much over 100, that is what I am going to try and do this weekend.

Red:
Since time is short and you sound a bit unsure of your ability to make the slightly longer shots, may I suggest that you do a bit of dry firing in the time remaining, would be good if you could do so before your last range session. You will be surprised at what you can learn and how much you can improve your marksmanship in this manner. Your mistakes are easy to spot when not masked by the recoil of the rifle and the more you repeat the "breaking the shot", the more natural it becomes.

Shooting is probably 90-95% mental and you must not let the $$ or your doubts enter your mind when the moment of truth comes. Get a good rest, concentrate on your sight picture and the squeeze the trigger; simple as that.

Not sure of the drop on your Whelen, but if I were expecting shots out to 200 yards I would sight the '06 in between 1.5 and 1.75" high @ 100 and you can center the shoulder out to 200 and not worry about bullet drop.

Concentrate on your sight picture, take your time and you'll be fine.

Regards,
hm

PS Did I mention that you must Concentrate only on your sight picture ?

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Shooting is probably 90-95% mental and you must not let the $$ or your doubts enter your mind when the moment of truth comes. Get a good rest < !--color--> , concentrate on your sight picture and the squeeze the trigger; simple as that.

Excellent advice, I'd also add that you must make yourself slow down. A lot of folks will tend to try to rush that shot. One of the things I liked a bout Cowboy shooting is that it taught me to shoot quickly but still controlled. I had a buddy that also shot cowboy with me. At the range he could best me every time. But at the matches I always made the top 10 and he never made it out of the bottom ten.

Don't be too worried about Tom's advice about the caliber. When I asked hom bout the 180 grain BT's in my .308 he replied that I should use 150's???? One thing I've found is that a great many skilled hunters that I've met seemingly don't know jack about ballistics. A lot of these guys are so busy hunting & guiding that they don't reload and rely on factory ammo. Go with what you know, it will boost your confidence.

Best of Luck!!!!!

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote