New
Find
Notify
Tools

dead hog walking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking forward to killing a good sized hog in the next few weeks at a ranch near Tarpley - 100 degrees - Texas. I may need some moonlight to help me out. I have seen his wallow and where he rubs the mud off on some oak trees near a feeder. The mud on the trees shows the direction he is going when leaving the wallow. I only have the feeder going off for a short burst at 8 am / corn - protien - milo mix.

I am pretty sure he comes and goes at night. I have access to a game cam which would give me the answer.

All the hogs in this neck of the woods are nocturnal. I am trying to figure out if the hogs lay up all day - then feed and then wallow
or wallow then feed. I suspect the first senario so that means he doesn't get there till very late at night. The mud rubs are almost 3' up the trees.

Also I have been wondering by the looks of their trails, if they take the same route each night. Any thoughts?

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it sandy or grass ?

Id sandy, use a rake to smooth out the tracks so you can see what he is using.

If Grass, put a trip wire across so you can see which he is using.

Re feed then wallow or vice versa, is their mud where he feeds ? Maybe stick a stake or two in the ground so he has to rub against them to feed and if he has fresh mud on him it will rub off.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted! This ought to be good!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
If the weather is hot, will he not be heading for the wallow in the heat of day, ala warthog.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have trail cameras out on 2 ranches north and west of San Antonio. In June and July, I was getting hogs at the feeder at about sunset. Now that HOT Agust is here, they don't appear until about 1 hour after sunset. There is water within 100 yds of each feeder - it looks like they come to the feeder first.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post
Good luck

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote