THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    .309 JDJ, 150 grain Ballistic Tip & a cooperative target

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.309 JDJ, 150 grain Ballistic Tip & a cooperative target
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Have been moving slowly lately and thus am a bit late in posting this. I took this hog via moonlight on the night of the 8th using the .309 JDJ and the 150 grain Ballistic Tip at around 2675 fps MV. The range was a little over 160 yards, and the shot was slightly quartering. The bullet entered towards the front part of the shoulder, ripped through the top of the heart and bottom of lungs (heavily damaged one lung and about 1/4th of the other) and exited about 4-5 inches behind the opposite shoulder, leaving a nickel-sized hole through the opposite ribcage. Bullet performance was as good as one could hope for and put the hog down quickly.

Pardon the picture. The hog was quite bloody and had to be hosed off -- and wasn't wiped down or given time to dry before the photo. So it looks a little rough. Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks fine to me. Good shooting.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, your hogs obviously don't have access to broadband or they would understand that a Ballistic Tip is a terribly fragile bullet which will simply blow up on a hog's shoulder and won't penetrate more than a few centimeters, leaving nothing but a flesh wound. But I suppose as long as they don't get wise you can keep on killing them successfully with Ballistic Tips -- just keep them away from computer monitors with access to the internet!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
No doubt about it. If those swine start reading the internet, they'll start laughing at me and soon be running away from my shots with those varmint bullets! Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby is the man, the ultimate hog slayer.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Bobby is the man, the ultimate hog slayer.

That's part of the reason I recently bought some bullets from him. If they've been in his presence, they must know what to do, right? jumping

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote