Find
Notify
Tools

Made my day!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
I had the honor and distinct pleasure of meeting long-time and respected AR poster dustoffer. It was good to be able to put a face to the name of the fellow whose posts I sure do enjoy reading.

Here's wishing you well with that hog trap, Allen -- and I hope to see some photos of it filled with pork before too long.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on you both!
Now both of ya's post more often!
Pix are nice too!

tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--the pleasure was mine as well. Hog trap is in-place about 20' from the feeder. Going out tomorrow and put a small feeder on top of it to "keep it sweetened"

Thanks for the deal--and hope you get back to work sooner.

Allen

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Always good to meet fellow AR members! WTG guys!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Puting names and faces together is really enjoyable. tu2 tu2 beer

Realizing that someone is not a khuckle dragging, drooling idiot also makes getting into a discussion with that person in the future on a site is a lot less stressful. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Always good to meet fellow AR members! WTG guys!

+1 on that tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if I forget somebody, but if my slippery memory serves, I've had the honor of meeting Geedubya, jeffeosso, Rusty and now dustoffer. I consider myself a lucky person.

Dustoffer had purchased a hog trap and scope rings from me -- and I told him the rings were on me. Well, after he had left and I went to put the $$ in my wallet, I found that he paid for the rings and then some. I wanted to send it back to him, but he'd hear nothing of it...

Allen, as to me getting to work again, I still hold out a little hope, but realistically, from what the doctors have said and from what I have begun to realize, it's not going to happen.But I try and make the most of the bad days and enjoy the good ones for all they are worth. And while I know I was not much help in loading the trap, just getting out of the house was a small victory as yesterday I could not have done as much... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

The trap had already been spoken for when I first saw it posted for sale, if not I would have bought it.

Dustoffer, If by some chance you put a spring loaded door on the trap and you get a fairly large, 75- 100 pound sow in it, keep her in the trap as long as possible, she will attract pigs as well as boars, kind of like the gift that just keeps giving. Has worked for me more than once.

I have one I built about 8-9 years ago very similar to yours, except the on mine door is on a spring that will push open repeatedly. My cousin “BORROWED” it just after I had finished it and he only had it for seven years. I tried to get him to send the pictures he had of nine pigs in it at one time, but he knows less about pooters as he does farming. Later I found out that the pictures were taken with a 35MM and that would in tale scanning so I gave up on the idea long after he did.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swifter--I use another trap with the drop-down top-hinged door--have had 5 in it before, but it's a smaller trap than the one I bought from Bobby, which does have the spring-loaded side-hinged door.

I found that lots and lots of corn works best--paint the bottom gold, with the trigger/trip wire in the far back corner. Pigs keep on crowding into the trap until eventually one of the greedy little shoats hits the trip wire and you've got 'em.

As hot as it is, not so sure a hog would last long in the trap though, and since I generally have a "customer" waiting for a pig, they die rather quickly. Wink

And, now I've met Jeffe, Mike DeTorre, and Bobby.

Here's the trap in waiting--first pic shows the base for the small feeder I put on top to put corn in the trap each evening. Second pic shows the feeder in place. The base acts as a shroud to keep the corn inside the trap, and there is a large feeder about 20' to the left of the trap (background, 1st pic)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet when that feeder goes off, it is like a dinner bell with the corn hitting that half drum. Good idea.

One BIG problem I had was with coons eating the corn up before the pigs came in. Usually four and sometimes six would be there stealing my corn. I coated the corn with molasses and for what ever reason, the coons would not eat it. I don't think I would try running molasses through a corn feeder though.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good idea on the molasses Swifter--but there have been several 'coons meet their demise at this feeder, so according to the game cam, they aren't a problem right now--

Does the molasses attract ants?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used it pretty much back in February, March and April and did not notice a problem with ants. We do not have many red ants up this far but have a butt load of fire ants.

I think that the coons did not particularly like the molasses because as you know they do not produce salvia and probably have a hard time with that sticky stuff in their mouth to turn loose. For whatever reason, they just would not eat it and the birds did not care for it as well.

The pigs really liked it though. When I started using it that big pig I was hunting for made the dinner stop every night for eight straight nights. Before that, he may or may not come in, maybe in early maybe late, once he got a taste of that molasses, he was there earlier and earlier. The evening I let the air out of him, he was there before it was completely dark, saw him with my binoculars.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the feeder set up. Should keep the coons off the feeder and drop the corn into the trap.

Good luck with it.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Checked the site yesterday--doesn't appear that the pigs have gone into the trap yet--at least not all the way in, as the corn-on-the-cob at the back under the feeder is still there.

Won't be long however.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Checked the site yesterday--doesn't appear that the pigs have gone into the trap yet--at least not all the way in, as the corn-on-the-cob at the back under the feeder is still there.

Won't be long however.

I am sure they will!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK gang--pigs have discovered the trap and it's "golden carpet" so I'm setting it tonight, and then going to one of my other places with 12-ga in-hand.

Report to follow--

Preliminary--got in the ladder stand tonight at 7:40 and it was HOT! However, the light breeze put me downwind from the feeder!! First visitor was a bird, then a bunny, and the feeder spun on time (8:25). About 8:50 I smelled pigs--but no sound or sight. Finally heard some cracking and leaves crunching about 20 minutes later, and then a mob showed up under the feeder. However, they wouldn't come to the pile of corn (see pic) and hung back at the feeder. So, I waited until I had two heads close together and hammered 'em. 12-ga 3" mag #4 buck. Does a body good!

Trap is set Bobby, but you'll have to wait for tomorrow. I'll be up early to check it.

Unfortunately no visitors at the trap last night--the corn was still under the feeder from last night's spin, so guess the coons weren't hungry either. Oh well, I'll re-set Sun/Tues/Weds.