Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dedicated Pig Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted
For close in Brush country I use a Winchester 1895 in .405Win and use open sights or a Browning BLR in .308Win with a 4x 'scope both are quick to operate and the .308Win can handle the distance when the country opens up, a .444 Marlin,.450 Marlin and Savage 99 in .308Win are also good calibres for levers. The choice for a bolt action would be a Winchester 70 in .270Win,.30/06 or slide action Remington in .270Win, .30/06, .35Whelen with 4x,6x or 3-9x40 'scope but my preferences are

Lever

Winchester 1895 .405Win
Browning BLR 81, .308Win, 4x 'scope
Savage 99 .308Win, 4x 'scope

Bolt

Winchester 70, .270Win,.30/06, 3-9x40

Slide

Remington 7600, .270Win,.30/06,.35Whelen

RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good hog gun should pack some weight, some old boars can be really tough. I had an older Winchester Model 70 featherweight in .358 Win and it dropped hogs and black bears like you wouldn't believe. I normally prefer higher velocity rounds for deer and caribou (.270 Win, 7mm Rem, .264 Win), but for pigs and bear, I prefer a little more weight and diameter behind them (.35 Whelen, .358, 9.3x62).

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one dedicated pig gun a 45/70 Marlin that had custom work br Jim Brockmen. If you ever need work done on your lever gun he is the man! I now use a 9.3 X 74R Double Merkel. I have shot well over 100 hogs and now I like to get close under 75 yards and use my double. I was hunting a few weeks ago at the end of Turkey season. I was hunting turkey with my .22 mag when a big baor hog walked right up to me at 30 feet a put a 34gr .22 right between his eyes and he dropped like a ton of bricks. I firmly believe that a hog will drop to anything,just hit it right. I love hog hunting but they are highly over rated as a tough animal that's hard to kill.To date i have used .22,.22mag.,.357 mag,.38 special,9mm,.243,.270,30-06,375,470,.585,9.3,45/70

Posts: 74 | Location: Sunrise,Florida | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that Jim Brockman's lever guns are excellent. I used one to kill a bison last year. 45/70.

As for the ideal pig gun, for what it's worth, Craig Boddington in his book "The Perfect Shot: North America" discusses pigs, and he prefers the "mid-30s" e.g., the 350 Remington Magnum, .358, etc He says that have enough wallop to knock a pig on its butt but at the same time shoot flat enough to be accurate for most shooters at 200 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 30-06 with 180gn factory ammo will kill anything in the 48 states under 300yds. If your shooting further than that your shooting not hunting anyway. That said My suggestion, and my dedicated pig gun, is a 308. There is no practical difference in the two shooting factory ammo, and milsurp ammo is cheap, accurate and incourages practice. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You betcha on the 30-06. This was my gun I built for hogs. Never needed the bayonet . It was inspired by Brockman's lever guns and I got him to install the heavy match barrel and scope blocks. Tiurns out he appenticed under one of the better Garand 'smiths and knows them well. The synthetic stock is from Lone Wolf and has held up really well. The gun is about 12 years old.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with a big bore for big holes and never look back. You want a bullet that kills with authority or leaves you at least a good blood trail. See also my post on the thread about blood trails on this forum. If you don`t talk about head or neck shots (risky, very small target! verify at a dead animal!) you should consider something BIGGER than .308 caliber still with enough punch.

Greetings

Wolfgang

Posts: 33 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, I usually try to stick to the question that was asked. You've received a lot of good choices to the dedicated pig gun question, however, so I'd like to ask a question. Why a dedicated pig rifle?

Generally, a hunter needs a .22, a 12 guage, and a .30-06. Once he has the basic battery, he can branch out as he develops a fondness for certain types of game and accumulates the money for a rack of guns.

I'm not about to knock the .358 (for example) as a pig poker, but how are you going to like it if you guys get a chance to hunt antelope or mule deer next year? A lot of rifles that are great for hogs might be marginal for some other opportunities.

Now, I'm not saying don't buy a .444 or whatever. Just not now. Someday, if your friend really gets into hunting in a big way, he may "need" a .375, a 28 guage, etc. But I'll bet he keeps the .30-06.

Bottom line: Your bud doesn't have a .30-06. Therefore he needs one.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Carlos,

At the moment he is looking at the basics, a 12 gauge for birds (He also wants to go after turkey) and a 300 win mag. I know he will end up turning it into his all-around gun, but at the moment he wants to go after pigs. I suggested the 30-06 or a 300 win mag. He's a big guy (I'm 6'1" and he makes me look like a midget) so he chose the 300 win mag, which I thought a good choice. If I was to get my first rifle over again, I'd get the 300 win mag instead of the 30-06. What he really wants is a rifle to take care of everything short of bears and other animals that may try and kill you. He will probably shoot some deer and a few elk, but he asked me about a pig gun. I gave him the pro's and con's to each caliber and he likes the 300 win mag. It shoots flatter and will have more power on a long shot (I would not be surprised to see him shooting gophers with it).
So to answer your question, he's starting out on pigs, so he is matching the rifle to the game. I know once he gets his first pig he will go after deer and elk, so I gave him calibers that are also effective on elk and deer at all ranges. (Thus I ruled out the 45-70) I also gave him calibers that are not expensive to shoot, so he can practice with them a lot without burning a hole in his pocket. (Here is where I ruled out the big bores. They were the first thing that came to mind when he asked for a dedicated pig gun.) He just wants to be a resposible hunter and have the correct rifle and caliber for pigs but I know he will get more rifles after his first.

I appreciate the help you guys have given me. I'll be sure to tell you what he chooses and how he does on his first hunt.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW, my primary pig gun is a custom Sako AII in 358 Win, and it wears a Leupold 2-7. I have had good success with the Sierra 225 BTSP over IMR 4320. I like the rifle so much that I often use it as my brush gun for deer and black bear. Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken several with my Ruger #1 45-70 loaded with 400 grain hard cast bullets. For ranges beyond 150 yards I'd want something with a flatter trajectory like a .308 or 30-06 with Nosler partitions. Big boars have an "armor" over their shoulders that is unbelievably tough, and they can be hard to put down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I use a gun instead of a spear, I use a swedish mauser 96/38(slightly sporterized)w/ a 2X pistol scope. This rig was cheap, rugged and accurate. 140 to 160 grain bullets drops hogs like Thor's hammer.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 45-70..

A .35 Whelen would be great for longer range shots..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a pig a couple of years ago (@ 300#) with a 286 gr Nosler partition from a 9.3x62. It entered his chest at the thoracic inlet and went south taking out all 4 chambers of his heart and his liver. It went through his abdomen from end to end and ended in his medial thigh. He ran 50 yds after he was shot.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
I know it sounds bad but I have used either my Russan SKS or AK 47 7.62x39 on hogs in the swamps of East Texas. For open hunting I like my 7mm-08. I'm waiting to my 375 in I think that might be good fun bust a hog with!

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of guys around here and into So. Alabama used the SKS when they were cheap. I don't see so many of them now.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the SKS was that you know that if you fall in the mud or get down in the swamp, the gun would work like a charm low maintenance hunting is the way to go for pigs!

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I PERSONALLY PREFER MY MARLIN GUIDE GUN HERE IN ARGENTINA WE HUNT IN THE BUSH AND SWAMPS TOO SO WE SHOOT HUGE BOARS AT CLOSE RANGE ,FOR HUNTING WITH MY DOGOS ARGENTINOS DOGS I USE A GLOCK40SW MOD22 .HUNTINGINARGENTINA@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
For very close work with my dogs i use my glock 40sw or my cold steel recon ,my marlin guide gun is next step ,then i use a cz 308 or a 375hyh depend the conditions.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found I like a 45-70, I use a converted SMLE I built a while back. I have two now and hope to use the new one this coming March. Both rifles shoot under one inch at 100 yards. The pig I took this year was 200 pounds a 300 grain bullet seems to put them down quite well.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya'll have all named some good pig guns.
I have killed a lot of pigs.
IMHO the BEST pig gun on the Planet is a scoped [with QD mounts]Chapuis 9,3x74R double rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Left-Hand Mauser in 9.3x62 with a 20" barrel set up as a "Dedicated Wild Boar/Pig" rifle with EAW Mounts, a 30mm Millet Red Dot for the stalking/Drive Hunt piggies and a Zeiss 8x56 for potting them at night from High Seats.

In my opinion the 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R are some of the best Piggie Bashing cartridges that have ever been developed; ala color me a graduate of the school of the bigger bullet hole for Porkers.

Having said that, I also see alot of vanilla-flavored .270 Win, 7x64 & 65R's, .30/06 Sprg., & .308 Win. & 8x60's, that aren't specialy set-up for pigs just everyday hunting rifles that folks use successfully.

In Europe the 8x68, .358 Win., 9.3x62, 9.3x74R, .35 Whelen, .338 Win. Mag., .375H&H's and 45/70 Marlin Lever gun are seen more often WHEN someone gets serious about setting up a rifle specifically as a dedicated Piggie Boomer.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to have a "dedicated" pig gun, I assume you are planning to do a lot of pig hunting. If that is the case, I'd be willing to bet that most of the pigs you kill will be sows. We hunt them year-round on our lease and after handling one or two big old boars, we opt for the sows. Sows aren't that hard to kill. Boars are tougher, but they are not Cape Buffs.
I am a Marlin levergun nut, and I hunt both deer and hogs with them. My favorite calibers are the 35REM and the 375W. Even with a scope, they handle nicely in tree stands and thick brush.

Isaiah 41:10

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even with a scope, they handle nicely in tree stands and thick brush.

Duckbill,

You don't see those two cartidge choices much in Europe but I would consider them outstanding piggie potters as well.

You are right about the short bbl. - it's why I opted for the 20" tube - stands & brush!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are right about the short bbl. - it's why I opted for the 20" tube - stands & brush!

Gerry, You'd love my new levergun then. It's a 35Rem SS guide gun with 18.5" barrel. Here's a pic:

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckbill,

From a transplanted Cracker to another (Tampa is my home originally) just got waylayed in Europe for a while......

Good looking Marlin there; nicely done up with the short tube and small scope - looks like an ideal Porker package and the 35 Rem. is a real, nice, ole sleeper cartidge IMO, too. You don't see them too much anymore but those that elect to use it swear by it!

As a lefty, I've got a sweet spot for Marlins since they operate so good from the Port side. Mine's an ancient 1894 in .44 Mag. from @ 1975 or so, not enough Whoomp for Piggie Drive Hunts here but when I was growing up in Florida I killed a whole bunch of swamp deer with that rifle!

We have a German hunting buddie on our Lease that uses a blued Marlin Guide Gun w/Red Dot sight on it in 45/70 and he gets lots of Piggies on our Drive Hunts also. Everyone smiles when they hear his boomer go off (it does have a distinctive "crack" to it) 'cause we know with pretty good possibility he smacked something!

Have fun with your Marlin - nice!

Waidmannsheil!

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,
I used to have one of those old Model 1894 44MAG's. I bought it in '82 I believe. I foolishly sold it in the early 90's.
I bet we hunted some of the same swamp deer. I used to hunt Green Swamp WMA back then.

Take care,
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
I have a Left-Hand Mauser in 9.3x62 with a 20" barrel set up as a "Dedicated Wild Boar/Pig" rifle with EAW Mounts, a 30mm Millet Red Dot for the stalking/Drive Hunt piggies and a Zeiss 8x56 for potting them at night from High Seats.

In my opinion the 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R are some of the best Piggie Bashing cartridges that have ever been developed; ala color me a graduate of the school of the bigger bullet hole for Porkers.

Having said that, I also see alot of vanilla-flavored .270 Win, 7x64 & 65R's, .30/06 Sprg., & .308 Win. & 8x60's, that aren't specialy set-up for pigs just everyday hunting rifles that folks use successfully.

In Europe the 8x68, .358 Win., 9.3x62, 9.3x74R, .35 Whelen, .338 Win. Mag., .375H&H's and 45/70 Marlin Lever gun are seen more often WHEN someone gets serious about setting up a rifle specifically as a dedicated Piggie Boomer.

Gerry,

I am working on acquiring another 9.3x57 that has been drilled & tapped. The barrel will be shortened to 500mm and recrowned then restocked with a nice Full Length stock. It will be my primary brush (Piggie) gun.

One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
Ruger 96/44 with 1.5 to 4.5 Bushnell, shooting 240 grain jacketed handloads.

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yo Poleax,

Another nice cartridge for a dedicated Piggie Basher, sorry, just too many out there to name them all.

A Swedish hunting friend has a 9.3x57 and he loves it, too. His results speak for themselves. Many are underloaded but it's similar to the .358 Win. which is no slouch indeed.

Short tube, full-length wood, sounds very nice.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Could not agree more. The Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 is perfect for hogs. Juan, if I get to Argentina as planned in October that's the rifle I'm bringing with. BOOM
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
I PERSONALLY PREFER MY MARLIN GUIDE GUN HERE IN ARGENTINA WE HUNT IN THE BUSH AND SWAMPS TOO SO WE SHOOT HUGE BOARS AT CLOSE RANGE ,FOR HUNTING WITH MY DOGOS ARGENTINOS DOGS I USE A GLOCK40SW MOD22 .HUNTINGINARGENTINA@HOTMAIL.COM

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
My dedicated pig gun for the last 30 years has been my Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum shooting reloads of 240 grn. JSPs & 25 (caution hot) grains of H110, never had to shoot twice, never had a pig run off. The 44 Mag from a 20" barrel does an amazing job on pigs.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
took out a 7.62x39 cz carbine this weekend and used it on six pigs with great effect came with decent sights and likes the cheap wolf ammo and the remingtom ammo just about the same . for brush gun /pig gun it would make a good one. very light and 16 in bbl quite handy for brush crashing.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used http://www.buffalobore.com ammunition.As soon as I receive my Redfield Scope base I'll mount my 3x9x40 Sightron scope on my 20" bullberry sw 460 barrel and try out some sw 460 ammo want to see how it will perform and if it's accurate enough for pigs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hauptjager, Dr. Duc, and others,

This past week, I used a 7.62 x 39 in a Charles Daly mini-mauser. It was very disappointing in the performance dept. No jumbo pigs, the largest was less than 100 lbs. All were hit in the boiler room at relatively close range. I thought that the low powered cartridge would be ideal for the small pigs and got the mini-mauser just for the purpose of high volume animal control situations.

Unless the pigs were hit in the neck to head area, the 7.62 x 39 just did not have the energy to quickly dispatch the animal. Soft points were used on all of the pigs.

Anyone else have this poor experience with the cartridge?

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoff,

Yeah, I've had some REALLY bad expereinces on the receiving end of this cartridge as the bullets were raining all about me at a place far away a long time ago.......

That aside, sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with the 7.62x39 on piggies. I would consider it pretty light for Porker work.

The Mini-Mauser idea certainly has merit though but I don't know what kinda cartridge could be squeezed into that mini action that would have the required wallop & penetration. I also have a Mini-Mauser in .22.250 and that cartridge takes up about all of the available space in that action & magazine without going custom or attempting a wildcat chambering.

I'm a lefty, so my options are even more limited but as a Right-Hander if I was gonna go the miniature rifle route for Porkers, I'd try something along the lines of a Remington Model 7 in .308 Winchester and simply have it re-barreled to .358 Winchester. That'd be my idea of a small package with Porker thump.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
yeah I understand what you mean if you like something hotter on that action change bbl to 6.5 grendell and that should solve it. its a blown out ak round necked down to 6.5. i make a wildcat off of it that shoots .338 from that case and hammers pigs.also 6.5-375 grendell works well too alexander arms has brass and ammo for sale in the 6.5 g

I also load a 338 in a blown out 223 shortened. get 2400 with 160 x bullet and that is the hammer of thor on pigs inside 150 yds. 16 in bbl gets full velocity and I know it kills pigs dead right there. have sold 4 so far and corect head stamp brass should be here any day also have comercial ammo available this year. the guys that shoot these report that they are death on everything they shoot with them. fallow deer ,white tail, pigs up to 175 lbs bob cats. I will be taking one to africa next year and will let you know how that goes.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
gerry when those ak rounds bounce off your armor it does seem to be a bad experience. glad you made it.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry and Crusher,

I appreciate your input, it gives me another reason to go buy another rifle.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this when this thread began. Ill post again now with a few thinig that I've learned over the past three years. I use a 308 with 165 Partitions. I use these because there is a chance that I might see a deer and the PTs open fast enough on a behind-the-shoulder shot. BTW, NEVER shoot a pig behind-the-shoulders. A pig's, unlike a deer's vitals are located BETWEEN THE SHOULDERS, not behind. More pigs are lost shooting them there than any other reason. A pigs 'shield' is not bullet proof. Any hard 38special will penetrate it. The problem is that a cup-and core bullet traveling at high speeds might come apart on it. The advantage of the 308 is that it is slow enough to give good performance and not come apart using standard bullets. A blood trail is never a guarantee on pigs due to thick hide and fat. I never depend on it. For the simplest, easiest shot on pigs, try to take out the heart/lungs and one shoulder. Unless they are really pumped up before the shot, they won't go far and most will just fall over and struggle a short time. I have not talked about eye/ear/brain shots, as they are problematic. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote