Find
Notify
Tools

Last night...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted
Me and a buddy were hog hunting yesterday evening, spot and stalk, when 2 hog dogs came running up to us. No-one else has permission to hunt where we were, but it's hard to tell that to the dogs. I had a pretty good idea where they came from, and sure enough, we found 4 men on our place. They had already killed one boar, but that didn't come out until later. They were nice guys, but their dogs were really screwing up our hog hunting.
Well, two of their dogs were about a mile south of where we caught the guys, and since our hunting was pretty much shot for a while, I decided we would take them to where their dogs were. Might as well have some fun, and keep an eye on them till they got back on their place, and off of ours.
Worked out okay. Their dogs had a boar and a sow bayed up in a briar patch that was really nasty. When the boar broke and ran, I dropped him with a running shot with my .45 acp at about 10 yards. Then the catch dog caught the sow and my buddy got to stick his first one with a knife.
We then drove the guys and their dogs back to their gate and dropped them off.
I wasn't too happy that they were on our place, but I have been in their shoes a few times before when hog dogging. So we made the best out of it and ended up having a good time.

Here's a couple pic's of my buddy and his new friend, the catch dog.

Good Hunting,
SFH

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic's.

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, jarhead! Congratulations! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you made lemonade out of lemons. Good work.

I had a similar situation several years back, but without the good result of the hogs. A friend of mine and I were going deer hunting in late Jan or Feb (legally, I was a Level 3 Game Management ranch at that time, season for us ran until end of Feb). We're going to our stand and 4 bay dogs (blackmouths) are running all over the place, naturally screwing up any chance of a deer being in area. I'm instantly hot and about that time I hear these guys calling their dogs from top of a hill across a big slough. Long way around and it takes about 20 minutes or so to get there on 4 wheelers, dogs following us since they hadn't struck any hog scent and were used to following 4 wheelers while hunting. Head dog guy and I had a heated conversation to the effect that I wasn't blaming his dogs, they didn't know what a fence was, but he did and that I wanted his dogs off my place soonest and that if I found them on there again he wouldn't have to worry about calling them, he'd have to drag them off if he wanted the collars. He believed me and we have had a lot less trouble with dogs on our place since. I've got nothing against dogging, I just want them to stay where they have permission.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Whit. And Semper Fi!

Gato,
I feel your pain. There seems to be a big gray area when it comes to this. The dogs can't be held accountable, they are just doing what hog dogs do, find hogs, wherever they are. The dog owners on the other hand, way too often will turn their dogs out, and follow them wherever they go. Relying on the old excuse that: "I'm just in here to get my dogs." But they invariably kill all the hogs that their dogs catch. And really screw up your hog/deer hunting for up to a month.
In this case, the ranch to the north of us is all open pasture, where these guys have their "lease," and they seemed to know where they were on our place, so I'm pretty darn sure they had been there before. They were even wearing hip waders, and there aren't any creeks on their place, but there are 2 on ours.

Long story not so short, we made the best out of a bad situation, and I didn't lose my cool. I didn't have to involve the authorities, (and the Game Warden is a friend of mine) and we salvaged the hunt.
May cooler heads prevail.

Good Hunting,
SFH

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!