Find
Notify
Tools

Hogs in Missouri
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted
Greetings all. I've been bumming around AR for a while now. I have moved to Southwest Missouri in the last year and I'm looking forward to some hog hunting.

The F&G department advertises there are hogs in several southern counties but not the one I live in (Wright).

I'm wondering if any AR forum members from Missouri that have experience hunting hogs and if so I would enjoy the opportunity to bum along.

As of this posting it's still way too wet to go chase the varmints but I'm sure it'll dry out eventually, right? ;-)

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
There are hogs here in SEMO but there are probably 1000 deer to 1 hog.

Almost everyone I have known that have hunted them fail (myself included). Contrary to what the MDOC say they are not thick and there is not a huntable population unless you have tons of time to kill.

I must say I have found a lot of sign this spring and spent a lot of time hunting but hogs in SEMO are here today and have moved along tomorrow…you can’t pattern them here. Too much cover and too much feed. So they keep moving.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I have a friend (I trust) that has told he has sighted feral hogs in the Glade Top area.

I am going to start hiking there on my day off both for the exercise and the chance to see some.

I will be packing a handgun, no need for a rifle. Mostly I want to get one in sight first.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunt around Wappapello lake. I have hunted about 175-200 trips and have killed 3 hogs and seen 7 hogs total in those hunts.

We have hogs, but they are smart and VERY noctournal! They will also move out of an area at the first sign of being hunted. We have baited and stalked and stand hunted and pushed thickets.

The guys that kill them most often are running them with dogs.

good luck
224TTH