Find
Notify
Tools

Building a hog feeder??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Ok, I have the basic idea but I'm looking for others experiences.

Also I have heard of a self feeder system with chains under the gallon instead of the normal stuff with batteries, I even saw pictures of them but I am not sure about them...

Thanks
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Lorenzo,

Here is a link to some pig pipes you can buy. They are also easy to make. You can apply the same concept to a plastic barrel with small holes drilled in it and attached to a chain.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Pig Pipe Link

Here is a steel version:
Steel Pig Pipe Link

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Concept. Thanks Bob. I might have to try one of those.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob,
I was thinking in something similar but Iam concerned about how the rain may affect the corn. If it get wet it will become bigger (I don't know how to say it in english), remember that my country is much more rainy than Texas.

Here is the one with chains I mentioned before. It seems animals learn to move the chain and the corn fall from the drum, you start baiting them on the floor under the gallon but as they move the chain more corn goes down.

IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/Tordillo/cebadero.jpg[/IMG]

The bottom of the gallon has a hole where a thick chain pass through all the way till the floor, as the pigs moves the chain some corn escape from the hole and they continue feeding. Obviously the hole must be a little bigger than the chain.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
It seems photobucket is not working.... bewildered

L

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
It seems photobucket is not working.... bewildered

L

The beginning of your image link was missing (the "[")

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles!!!!!
Obviously I'm not an expert with "these" things Big Grin

The fencing around the feeder is for keeping cattle away.

L

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What about varmints that might want to eat the corn like squirrels, coons, birds, etc. ?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Here is another option: Feeder Link

You can get the "varmint guard" accessory on it.

Bob

Varmint Guard

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
We don't have squirrels here, and our coons, known here as mano pelada (clear hands or something similar) eats birds, eggs, crabs,etc but never I saw one feeding of corn.

I think birds will be the main problem but mostly with the corns already dropped by pigs.

I will be more worried about deers, but I hope they will leave something for my nocturnal visitors!! Wink

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't pay for a commercial varmint guard--go to the hardware store and buy some welded wire mesh in the 1" X 2" size. Then you just cut and form your own guard. Attach it with pipe strap and self-drilling screws. I made 5 from $18 worth of wire.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"