Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hog for the freezer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
This is the hog I got during a recent visit to Texas. Nice clean hog, practically no smell. Estimated weight about 125lbs. I butchered it out, and it now is in my freezer.

While in Texas, I got with my gunsmith friend and we assembled three AR15 uppers in 6.5 Grendel. I have been accumulating parts for a long time. This is the first hog kill with the Grendel. The shot was about 125 yds, broadside, right behind the ear entrance. The side of the hog shown in the picture is the exit, after breaking his neck - DRT.

I really like the Grendel in the AR. My hunting buddy was so impressed that he persuaded me to sell him one of the uppers. So I made a buddy deal with him, for my cost. He sent me pictures of the tiny groups he is getting from it. Now he says his son wants to buy one of the other uppers. I'm not sell another one just yet. Heck, they have been several years in progress. I think I'll just enjoy both of them.

Since my buddy doesn't use the computer, I shopped for some brass, shellholder and dies for him, and found some. Fortunately, Hornady brass was available from at least three sources last week, so I got four boxes. I found a Forster seater at Grafs and a Forster sizer and shellholder at Midway. He has small rifle primers and powder, so now he's set.

I have several boxes of Hornady factory ammo - enough for several really busy seasons.

Looks like the 6.5 Grendel will be my go-to rifle for the forseeable future.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you find 6.5 bullets with a hog pictured on them? We all know what is depicted on the box is all that can be taken with them.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Apparantly the 123gr 6.5mm A-Max is supposed to be a target bullet. Bad me. So spank me for using them on game. They worked well on the Sitka deer in Alaska too.

Now Hornady is making Grendel ammo, when you can get it, in the A-Max and the SST, both in 123gr. I just bought five boxes of the SST.

I'll draw my own pictures on the boxes, if that makes you happy. But I'll bet you will never learn that it's what's inside the box that counts. Varmint bullets are still varmint bullets, regardless of what you shoot with them. I would far rather shoot deer and or hogs with the 123gr 6.5mm A-Max target bullet, which obviously expands and holds together, than an explosive varmint bullet in 223 cal.

KB

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats! The Grendel is a perfect hog rifle. I have a lower ready to build a Grendel on now.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a great eating size hog. Congrats!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good looking hog KB, Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K,
you scoundrel.
You came to Texas and did not contact me.
I can't believe you would do that.
Triple demerits for you, bud.

Would have loved to made your acquaintence, even if we don't see eye to eye politically.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
GWB,
That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while.

I drove out to east Texas from central Georgia. I figured it was a day trip, but found out that it is not as easy to drive long distance as it used to be. I've been living in Alaska many years, with no opportunity to drive long distance.

On the return trip, I ran out of daylight, and the deer beside the road were a real concern. I counted over 70 just between Montgomery and Eufaula (no dead ones though). I made it to Eufaula AL and got a room.

I'll probably go back to Texas next winter, and plan on getting a room about mid-way. I'll let you know next time. I think you and my hunting budd in E. Texas would get along well. We plan on being in Alaska all summer. He's a good carpenter and I hope to get some work out of him fixing up the fish camp. A guy can't fish all the time - right?

As it turns out, my favorite time to hog hunt is from about early January until about the first week in April. It all depends on when the local deer season is over, and when turkey season starts. The sweet spot, in time, is to be out there when there are no deer hunters and not interfering with the turkey hunters. That time of year is cool enough to hang a hog overnight, gutted and skinned, if necessary.

Also, I discovered there are LOTS of hogs right here in South Central Georgia. I managed to walk into a multi-sow sounder (well over 50 pigs and sows) about the first of Feburary and got two, but I forgot to take pictures. I later found out that I discovered the local nursery, a big swampy area with some high ground, where the brush and vines and thorns keep the human foot traffic out. I found out that the local farmers are easy to obtain permission from for hog hunting, during the aforementioned time slot. Practically all the land around here is leased out for hunting rights, but no one cares after deer season is over. I'm still considered a local in these parts, and the farmers know who I am.

There is one guy, a lawer, who has bought up lots of land and planted pines, who doesn't allow hunting at all. He will prosecute. However, he can't keep the game on his property all the time, and they wander where I can get to them with no worries of legal action.

Funny, or odd thing I heard recently. Maybe it's true, but unconfirmed. Remember the outfit Jager Pro? They have been known for night vision hunting in GA. Well, it seems that GA has some grants for hog eradication, which has attracted Jager Pro, hence the new direction of developing the remote controlled hog traps, with video. Follow the money!!!

I doubt they can catch them all. Smiler

KB

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy, that really is about a perfect sized hog. There's a lot to like about the Grendel -- and really all of the 6.5s. I've got a .256 Mannlicher project on the back burner as we speak.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote