New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick and Cold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I went to the riverbottom tonight--had seen a good hog and lots of sign last time I was there. Also, had seen 6 deer, 5 of them bucks, including two good ones, although all the animals were across the fence on land I didn't have permission to hunt. Well, talked to the landowner after the session where I saw all the bucks and he said I could hunt but only after the end of the general deer season (Jan 3) as his son-in-law was coming down for a hunt. Fine by me, as there is a 2-week muzzleloader only season following the general season.

With the wind out of the north at about 20 mph I went to the far south end of the bottom at the river, crossed the fence, and started to work along the river, intending to go to the bridge and see if the highway and bridge was acting as a funnel for animals coming onto the property from the east. Got about 2/3rds of the way to the bridge and spotted something dark in the weeds about 100yds away. Lots of logs and trash in the bottom and I initially thought it was just a log--but put the binocs on it and it turned out to be a hog--maybe 120 lbs. Wind was fine, so I moved laterally to get a big pecan tree between us, and closed in. Got to the tree and still didn't have a clear shot due to the weeds, so I got down and kept closing--to about 30 yds. Got a clear shot--pop-boom! with the .50 cal ML--and the hog ran off-apparently a clean miss. And, another, larger one came out of the weeds near the river and ran in the same direction. I watched both of them cross about 150 yds of open pasture and go up on the wooded hill to the east. Followed the trail of the one I shot at for about 100 yds and found no blood, so I called it a miss. Too bad I wasn't carrying my .22-250 as I would have killed them both most likely. Spent the rest of the evening sitting, eating pecans, and watching for deer. Didn't see a thing until I was headed back to the truck and saw a coyote. Then about 100 yds from the truck, I saw some dark spots in the pasture. Put my binocs on the spots and it turned out to be 11 deer, and at least one buck, but too dark to shoot (probably would have missed them too). So called it an afternoon, went to the truck, and had a cup of coffee.

Next I went across the highway to my usual spot to see if the hogs were back. I walked over to the feeder and there was a little bit of corn on the ground--most likely from the high winds today. I reinstalled one of my lights that I had taken home to repair, and went to my "hide" and got set up. Got the chair and cushion set up, sat down, got my bipod adjusted, and poured a cup of coffee and relaxed. But, the danged hogs showed up before I could finish the first cup!!! I shot a nice fat sow--112# (I have a scale now) and when I field dressed her, found she had 7 little ones inside. I set up the game camera over the gut pile out of curiosity, so will have a report on any visitors later this week. Too cold for pics--camera batteries were too weak.

Tomorrow I'm off to a friend's to deliver the hog and to take possession of a doe he shot for me (his county still has open season for does and spikes). Sure is great to have friends with hog problems that let me be part of the solution!!!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure is great to have friends with hog problems that let me be part of the solution!!!!

Sounds like it!

Congrats on the pig. You could just about flash-freeze one outside tonight...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one's hanging in my shed, gutted and decapitated awaiting tomorrow's transfer.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Congrats, dustoffer! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun!!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Awesome! thumb

And you just have to love those rare Texas days when getting the meat on ice is not a priority... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hoisted the carcass in my shed, I noticed the meat was "steaming". But, when I dropped it in the wheelbarrow for the trip to the truck this morning, it was nice and chilled. Temp in the shed was perfect--38 degrees.