New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron Kiebler/Fair chase Ltd.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know of this place in Texas? I was given his name while looking for an honest hog hunt to take my son on. I spoke with him and he sounds legitimate enough but would feel better if someone who has hunted with him would post their opinion. thank you

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
What is an "honest" hog hunt here in Texas?

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
an area unstocked with hogs caught somewhere else an planted for the shooter yet has ample game to give a quality hunt,along with a guide/outfitter that is going to come across with what he promises good food good accomodations,no last minute surprizes

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ask him what size of a place he has, is it high fenched, is there exotics on it (dead give away that it's fenched)... is all the hunting in stands? is the ground stalkable? can you stalk?

If the pigs and exotics coming running out of the woodwork at the sound of a truck coming through, you are in a stockyard... this is called SHOPPING not HUNTING

If he says "we have 5000 acres of bean/peanut/grass/watever farms, that we run the rounds on and can stalk with cane brakes and grooves around the water" then you have an honest hog hunt....

If he guides you on 50,000 acres of national forrest, then you have a TOUGH honest hog hunt...

If they say they have a near 100% success rate, it's a stock yard....

there's a place up near dallas, that SAYS they have 250 acres (tiny) but it's bottoms or something, and is known as a boar heaven... i think that they have a creek...

anyway, after talking with them, and it being foudn that they had no fences to speak of, I drove the 4 hours to get there....

it was more like FIFTY acres that were huntable ... i am not sure a "squill" could have made it through the pine replant for the rest of it...

the hogs came through these 3 areas on the way to the creek and feeders ... the feeders went off every day.... the LONGEST shot was 65 yards, from a stand....

oh, yeah, and you could see all 3 stations from the "road"..

we turned around and left... I wrote it off as a nice drive with my wife

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffosso: Here's a hint for you about your comment on Scot's and their kilts: I am a Highlander and we do not run! BB

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BB,

I am a lowlander... we run from highlanders, especially in the curcumstance one may be caught with one's kilt UP <lol>

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I hunted javie with Rob a few years back in Carrizo springs SP? The ranch I hunted was not high fenced. two sides of it were bordered by a high fenced whitetail operation. I saw a ton of game. (Also some illegals as they passed here because the fence wasnt high)The hogs on this place were harder to get close to than the deer. I took a javie with my bow and a javie and a large bobcat with my 44mag. Rob worked his butt off for me. We spread alot of corn in 4 days. I tried to take a hog my last night a group came in about 150 plus yards out shot at a small one with a broken leg but didnt get him. I tried a few stalks but the hogs bested me every time.
I would hunt with Rob again anytime.
Dean
PS a saw a 8 point whitetail jump the high fence from the neighboring place. He hit the top with his belly and didnt make such a great landing but the sucker made it. Rob said I just witnessed something few people see. He also said the owner wouldnt be pleased as he just paided a furtune to have the place fenced

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since my original post I've spoken with Rob in Pittsburg,Pa at the SCI fundraiser. He sure seems straight forward enough and has been at it for many years.
We left with the understanding that I'd make a 3 day hunt preferably over President's day weekend,with 1 animal a day either Jav. or hog.I am waiting to see if he can pair us up with another duo for that weekend.
Mainly I want to see my son have some fun. I couldn't care less about shooting hogs.BB

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
you also can go to www.stickbow.com and check out there hog hunting forum. do a search on fairchase and you will find many happy hunters. Will his wife be cooking for you? She is alot easier on the eyes than that old fart!
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It sounds like y'all are set! Let us know how the hunt goes!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote