New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Texas Hogs where is the best place.
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted
ElCab -- Russ Taylor and I have both hunted at Cedar Ridge. Don't know where you live in Missouri but it's got to be less of a haul for you than Texas. It's a good deal at 395 bucks, and the hogs are first-rate.

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I see alot of "Where do I go" posts so here is another. I would like to take my first hog hunt. I live in Missouri and I'm thinking Texas is probably best? What are a few good outfits to hunt with there?

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
ElCab -- since you are in Missouri, can I suggest that you check out Cedar Ridge Farms in Fayette, MO? A couple of us that frequent this sight have hunted there and had a very good experience. The boars are pure European stock and make great trophies. Check out their web sight at www.cedarridgehunting.com I don't think you'll be disappointed and the price is right.

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out this outfitter:

http://www.huntingwithjeff.com/

I haven't hunted with him, but the feedback I've seen from those who have has been very good. Many I've heard from have been repeat customers. But as with any outfitter that is new to you, ask for references.

The deer season in South Texas lasts through January, so I would plan on a late winter/early spring hunt as the best time to get a bargain on hogs combined with favorable South Texas weather.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camp Cooley Ranch
http://www.campcooley.com/hunt.htm

Langley Ranch
http://www.texaswildhoghunting.com/

I hunted at Camp Cooley Ranch in 2001 and had a very enjoyable time. I have not hunted at Langley Ranch. I am thinking about it, though.

The bunkhouse for visiting hunters at Camp Cooley Ranch:

Some Water Buffalo on the property at Camp Cooley (in 2001):

The Water Buff are not hunted.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting with our own Wendell Reich this January. Check it out: http://redbluffranch.com/hog.html

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Has anybody hunted with this outfit?

wild hog hunts

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
That water buff in the back is asking for it

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
wow I didnt know there were watter Buffs in Texas, and I live here!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ElCaballero- I can't open the link you have listed for wild hog hunt, but if you are refering to wildhoghunt.com in Gonzalez, TX, I WOULD STAY AWAY!!!! I hunted there last year and it was worst hunt I have ever been on. The hunt was purchased on E-Bay, so I did not know anyone who had hunted there before, and the price sounded good (unfortunately I could not leave negative feedback on E-bay as the hunt was purchased several months before the hunt, and e-bay only allows so much time to post feeback). The accomodations were a run down trailer, which I still wouldn't have a problem with if it was good hunting...BUT IT WAS NOT. Property was poorly managed ie. High Grass, feeders that looked 15 years old that were clearly not operational, poorly maintained stands and blinds, and what I perceived to be lack of interest on the part of the owner as to the satisfaction of the hunter with the hunt. I saw one boar on three day hunt (which I can understand...that is why it is called hunting). Of the 3 boars killed out of 7 hunters on this 3 day hunt, two had to be thrown away because the boars had been shot before, and the ranch hand said they had gangrene (The owner also wanted to count these gangrene hogs toward the hunters 2 Hog limit!) To make matters even worse, this ranch boasts of there exotics. IT WAS LIKE A PETTING ZOO!!! Three of the hunters purchased a combination Ram/Hog Hunt, which consisted of the owner driving the hunter in a Gator along the inside of the fenceline, where eventually he would come along a pack of Ram huddled together. The hunter would then get out and pick the Ram he wanted, step back and wait for the rest of the Rams to move far enough away enough that he could shoot. The hunt was also to include all meals including a campfire brakfast of eggs and biscuits with "campfire chats" and history of Gonzalez, TX. In reality, it was box of donuts and scooter pies in trailer with Tunafish "Lunchables" for Lunch. The most I ever saw of the owner was when we were packing up to leave, as it was clear to me he was waiting for his tip. MY TIP IS TO GET REFERENCES BEFORE YOU PURCHASE A HUNT AND DO NOT RELY ONLY ON REFERENCES ON A RANCH'S WEB SITE.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Yes that is the same outfit that I had the link to.

How many of you have hunted the Cedar Ridge place? I am thinking that might be the better deal.