New
Find
Notify
Tools

JAGER PRO Georgia Boars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dustoffer added a link to Bob's night vision thread. I love the technology and really enjoyed going through the website. I couldn't help but notice that, although the boars were huge, their tusks were not. I was wondering if it might be because the boars grew heavy quickly on the available food, but hadn't necessarily grown old enough for big cutters.

Matt

Posts: 318 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me--but what do I know--I just shoot 'em and eat 'em.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most big boars, most places, wear their tusks down digging and rooting. A lot depends on the type of soil and food they have available. We rarely see really big tusks in our area, but we had a freak hog killed here a few years back just South of us on Anderson Creek that held, possibly still holds, the worlds record for tusk length. Needless to say the angle of his tusks was different than most. I've personally never killed what I'd call a really big hog, but I've killed 4 over 300 pounds and they all had relatively short tusks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Most big boars, most places, wear their tusks down digging and rooting. A lot depends on the type of soil and food they have available. We rarely see really big tusks in our area, but we had a freak hog killed here a few years back just South of us on Anderson Creek that held, possibly still holds, the worlds record for tusk length. Needless to say the angle of his tusks was different than most. I've personally never killed what I'd call a really big hog, but I've killed 4 over 300 pounds and they all had relatively short tusks.

It's the same case in Florida and particularly prevalent due to the amount of sand -- they grind 'em down.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Charlie, I don't have the experience with hogs you do, but a 300 lb. + is a huge animal in my book. The teeth on our pigs are usually not all that large, though some are rather impressive. The ones with 1" to 1.5" seem to do the most damage to cut vest.

Regards,
lm

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one weighed 208 on the hoof and that's a 7mm Rem Mag cartridge in his mouth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice teeth!!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He wasn't a big boar so far as body size, but he was an old one. Based on tooth wear, probably 5.5 or older. Obviously, he hadn't been around me much or he would have celebrated fewer birthdays.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

You are partly correct in saying they can grow larger faster therefore thier body mass is larger because of the availability of good food. Yet when it comes to thier tusk its not very impressive. I see this type of thing regularly.

I also STRONGLY believe that genetics plays a huge part in the size of a boars tusk as well as age.

Larry- I agree with you in that the 1-2 inch tusk gives us the most problems as well. Although the last boar we caught had 4 inch tusk and one of the dogs got stuck on it. Luckily he is still with us and didnt die from his injuries. Sometimes it just pays to be lucky.

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote