New
Find
Notify
Tools

hit and run
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went hog hunting yesterday and had a fair day. We caught two nice sows and a piglett. Would have had a boar, if not for a rare malfunction from my S&W 41 mag. Seems a nice boar stopped a few feet away from me after spotting me on the trail with dogs in pursuit. He went by me at mere feet, but my cylinder locked up as I ment to give him one double action. Guess I had a high primer cause it worked fine after I changed bullets.

After catching one nice sow with little drama the dogs got onto another. Three times it appeared the dogs had the hog stopped, but the race continued on. Finally I caught up with the dogs, my companions were no where around. I put up the revolver as I saw the pitt had the hog by the ear and went in with my knife to put an end to this ordeal.

Well things don't always go according to plan, the sow, a rather large girl of about 200 lbs shook off the pitt and proceeded in my direction at pretty good speed. I was unable to manover in the thick brush and she ran over me. I stuck my knife in her as she went over, too far back, and her momentum carried her off with my knife still sticking in her side.

I got up, shook myself off some, and thought how lucky I was that she was a sow, and not a boar with those sharp tusky things. When I think of what I've seen them do to dogs...well I was lucky.

I got back after the dogs, and caught up with them after 70 yds are so, in some really thick stuff. When I got there, my friend Neal had her, and a few dogs were latched on as well. Neal told me that she came walking up the trail slowly, probably slowed by the knife wound, and he managed to hide by a tree, catching her by the back legs when she came by. He said the catch dog showed up during that struggle and laid down without rendering him aid. Guess she was tired. I was.

Sorry no pics, forgot camera at the duck camp.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yes you were lucky! But then, I'd rather be lucky than good, any day! Thanks for sharing! Great story!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very glad to hear you are OK, Larry. That could have turned out much differently.

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your stories.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you find your knife?

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the kind remarks. I of course enjoy y'alls stories as well.

Yep, the knife was found on the trail about 15 yds away.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, someone get this man a bayonet! This is at least the second story you have told us where you would have been better off with one. Maybe one of the Mosin Nagants with the folding bayonet, I think its the M44.
You tell some good stories, thanks.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that for hunting loads I check al my hand loads for funtion in my revolvers. Before I go I had to many high primers in 40 pus years of reloading not too.

Sounds exciteing.

I have shot a few at feet instead of yards in the thick. its somethig to touch one off at a 300lb er at 5 feet.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
Ok, someone get this man a bayonet! This is at least the second story you have told us where you would have been better off with one. Maybe one of the Mosin Nagants with the folding bayonet, I think its the M44.
You tell some good stories, thanks.

bja105, don't remember what story you are referring to, but I can remember lot's of times when a bayonet would have been just the ticket.

Yep, that sow could have done some damage if she was of mind to, but I think we were equally paniced.

First time in a while I've had a high primer, if indeed that was the problem. Dumped the cartridges, the spent one, and the rest on the reload. I do need to remember to check in the future.

Thank y'all for the responses.