New
Find
Notify
Tools

weekend surprise
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
my son and i went to get the deer stands ready for the upcoming season and i couldn't resist sitting in my stand to see what was about. this guy came wandering by. the 9.3 did it's thing and i had a large dead pig. he would going on the wall but both bottom tusks were broken off at the gumline. too bad!!!

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure wish I could figure out how to see the pictures when they are posted this way> bewildered

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 608 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
okie...it shows up fine on my computer. is anyone else NOT seeing the pic?

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how about this one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can left click and nothing happens. Right click and get a thing that says show picture but click on it and nothing happens.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 608 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
It's showing up fine on my computer too....... Great hog!! You know, the tusks on a mount are normally made of plastic, so if the tusks are broken, it's probably ok -- just for the future that you know they won't use the real teeth. It's big, hairy hog, isn't it! Do you know what it weighed? Wow!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Pictures are fine here -- nice work on the hog. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whitworth...yes i know they don't use the real teeth. that's one of the cool things about shooting hogs...you get a skull and a mount Big Grin but if the hog didn't have them in real life, i don't want to have them "faked" on the mount. just a personal thing. i didn't weigh him so i don't have a weight. i think most people, including me, over estimate the weight of hogs for some reason. i weigh about 215 and he was bigger than me. a very wild guess would be that he weighed somewhere between 225 and 275???? all opinions on the weight are welcome.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
budiceale, I can understand your position. But, he is a fine trophy that looks like he easily exceeds 250-lbs!! He's a big, heavy bodied boar! Very nice! That 9.3 is obviously a good pig round!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the size of the head and the diameter of the foreleg, I would have to say 250 minimum, but then I've been way wrong before like most of us. It's a whole lot easier to estimate weight when they are hanging on the scales! Wink

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
you can tell by the grinders that they would have been good tusks.
i feel sorry for the pig he busted off those tusks on. would have been a fair scrap.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
greghud...

yes, they would have been GREAT tusks. i can see by the size of the holes in the jaw that they use be in that they were massive! the guy he used to break them off on is probably still hurting if not dead Big Grin. the skull is coming along nicely and i'll post a pic when it's done.

thanks to all for the responces

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Nice!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as promised, here's the skull. the teeth are just loose in the holes but they will be glued in at the right angle and depth. it still pretty greasy. if anyone has a tried and true method of degreasing this thing, please let me know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
my favorite

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
What process did you use to get him to that point? Boil the head? Bleach? meat eating beetles?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by budiceale:
my son and i went to get the deer stands ready for the upcoming season and i couldn't resist sitting in my stand to see what was about. this guy came wandering by. the 9.3 did it's thing and i had a large dead pig. he would going on the wall but both bottom tusks were broken off at the gumline. too bad!!!

Nice hog !! Congrats !!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bugle

first we removed the skin, eyes, tongue, and brains. then i put it in a 5 gallon bucket and covered it with boiling water and let it sit about an hour. dump the old water and cover it again with boiling water. i did this 2 or 3 times. then i took the skull out and went to work removing more meat. then i repeated the whole boiling water process again. after that i was able to get almost all the flesh off. then i put it in the bucket and covered it with 1 part bleach to about 2 or 3 parts water and left it over night. i did this twice. now if i can get it degreased it should look good enough.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
budiceale -- just went back and looked at the pictures of this hog again and it's a great trophy! Congratulations again! The skull looks very cool!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
That it's a FANTASTIC trophy no matter the broken tusks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beatiful hog, I love it Big Grin

Everyone here keeps shooting big boars meanwhile I am just the nightmare of sows and piglets Roll Eyes

Congrats to the hunter, not only for the pig but also for the caliber of his rifle thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
again, thanks to all for the nice words.

lorenzo

this 9.3x62 is fast becoming one of my favorite rifles. everything that i point it at seems to die in a big hurry(so far... 2 coyotes, 1 bobcat, and 4 hogs. this deer season i hope to add a deer to the list)

thanks again to all

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely not an expert on (home) taxidermy, but I seem to remember a friend of mine using hot (boiling?) water with dish washing detergent for degreasing. Probably takes several applications.

After the skull is degreased, you'll need to bleach it with peroxide - probably about a 10% solution. Go easy on the stuff, don't submerge the skull, rather soak rags in peroxide and spread on skull. Wear rubber gloves! Nasty stuff peroxide!

What a great piggie! Weidmannsheil.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote