Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Isn't that title redundant??? Nice pig.

Is that water I see? Hopefully you are getting some rain but I imagine that just means you were hunting near a tank.

I hope you did not spend Valentine's day hunting!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Isn't that title redundant??? Nice pig.

Is that water I see? Hopefully you are getting some rain but I imagine that just means you were hunting near a tank.

I hope you did not spend Valentine's day hunting!

No rain. Just what's left of an old tank.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
No rain. Just what's left of an old tank.

The forecast is looking somewhat promising, but I think it will take a tropical storm to fill the tanks back up.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker,

Is that a starlighter scope on that rifle?

I had a buddy down in Web county who had a starlighter on one of his rigs. It was serious fun poping coyotes in the dark with it.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I don't know, I think he's kinda cute...

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yeah, so ugly it's cute! LOL!!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Rattlesnaker,

Is that a starlighter scope on that rifle?

I had a buddy down in Web county who had a starlighter on one of his rigs. It was serious fun poping coyotes in the dark with it.

I'm not sure what a starlighter scope is but this one's a D760 gen III night vision scope. I can't tell you how awesome this scope is. In total darkness (only starlight) I hit a hog running at 240 yards I think it was. Now that was probably more luck on my part but it just shows the range and overall ability of the rifle.

Speaking of stars, if you ever get a chance to look through a good NVD, it's worth your while to gaze up at the sky on a clear black night. It's one of the most incredible things I've ever seen and it makes you feel pretty small to realize that they are 10x more stars out there that you can't even see with the naked eye.

Also, this hog was shot right before dark. The scope has a rubber cover over the objective lens with a tiny pinhole that allows you to cover the objective up and shoot it during the day. You wouldn't think you could see through it but it's pretty amazing.

Surestrike, coyotes are next on my list to go after. It's amazing how many coyotes you see out at night when looking through these things especially around cattle. Just about any field with congregated cattle will have at least 3 or 4 coyotes roaming around. I'm sure it would be a blast to call them in as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read my post and I used the words "awesome" or "amazing" way too many times. Sounded like a teenage girl or a southern californian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
I just read my post and I used the words "awesome" or "amazing" way too many times. Sounded like a teenage girl or a southern californian.

Hadn't noticed,but let me say,
"OHMAGAWD!THAT HOG IS RAD,DUDE!"

Nice pig/nice rig.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker
I too have spent some time looking up with my night vision binoculars. Even with gen II incredible is a serious understatement. Everyone needs this experience.
Can you believe the amount of things that fly around at night?

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker--at least you didn't say "like wow" or "you know" a dozen times.

And, unless that hog is really alive and playing possum, it is a beautiful hog. In my opinion, all dead hogs are beautiful.

And, as far as night vision devices go--you ought to experience the thrill of flying a helicopter right down in the treetops without any artificial light at all, only your night vision goggles and the moon/stars. The first time I did it, it was sheer terror, the last time it was a hooooottt and only a little bit scary.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
And, as far as night vision devices go--you ought to experience the thrill of flying a helicopter right down in the treetops without any artificial light at all, only your night vision goggles and the moon/stars. The first time I did it, it was sheer terror, the last time it was a hooooottt and only a little bit scary.

I really can't imagine how difficult that had to be. I'm assuming military but where was this? From my experience the biggest problem with the NVDs is the lack of good depth perception. Talking with guys that have used them on a daily (nightly) basis in Iraq they say the same thing about them. Even though you can see very clearly through them you can't always judge how far away objects really are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker--it was military, and about 15 years ago. The NVDs are much better now, but you are right about depth perception. Another major problem is lack of peripheral vision--like driving your car while looking through the cardboard tube that paper towels come on. Really got to keep you head on a swivel. And, the guys in the back are a great help in keeping your tail out of the treetops.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We gotta love the starlight scopes... I come to find that the mirror on the scopes would catch moonlight and reflect for up to a mile away (when seen through NVGs). When doing recons, it was very easy to spot all of the sentries who would leave the caps off at night... Enuf war stories... Makes me want to move to Texas, we can't put 'em on our rifles here in the PRC....

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Night vision scopes are illegal here? I didn't know that. I have a nightvision monocular but not a rifle scope.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In California- Penal Code 468, possession of sniperscope:
Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime.

Military/LE are authorized to use such devices during their duties.

Hope this helps.

Be safe,

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Another ridiculous firearm law in the great PRC! bull

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 493:
In California- Penal Code 468, possession of sniperscope:
Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime.

Military/LE are authorized to use such devices during their duties.

Hope this helps.

Be safe,

And the scary thing is, it is not illegal to have until you put it on the rifle.. It is a shame, it would make the folks in Monterey county so much happier if they could plug the pigs at night....

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way this law reads, it looks like it would only apply if one was using the addition during the night time hours. I know, this sounds stupid, but it does not say anything about attaching the device and using it during daylight operations.

I know what you are talking about in Monterey County, as I hunt them in SLO and see quite a few of them at dusk and during the night hours.

Be safe,