New
Find
Notify
Tools

New catch dog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went out this morning to hopefully try out a new catch dog.Only took Juice and a couple of BMCurs that my hunting buddy has and the one catch dog.Wasn't long before Juice was bayed and as I was stopping the truck they broke and went about 200 yards and bayed again.I stopped a good ways away this time and led the catch dogup to about 25 yrds and sent him in. He ad given the cur dogs all they wanted because they were giving him plenty of room.When the catch dog got there the hog was up under a spiney hackberry bush with the curs about 15 yards away and the bulldog couldn't see the pig. It didn't take him long to locate and when he was going in the pig broke with all four dogs close behind.After about 75 yds Juice bayed again and the catch dog caught.The curs had all they wanted as they were baying while the bulldog was caught on the rt ear. When I got in there the boar was throwing the bulldog up in the air trying to get him off but he never let go.Then the boar tried to to knock the bulldog off by pushing him into a cactus bush and when that didn't work butted him into a mesquite tree. I should have brought another catch dog but I wanted to see what this dog would do.Finally my hunting buddy slipped around behind him and was going in to catch a leg when he whirled around & headed toward him with bulldog in tow. Thank goodness he was unter a mesquite tree because he had to grab a limb and pull himself up in the air and the pig stopped right underneath him. I hollared at him to drop down on his back and catch the other ear so I could stick him but he wasn't too keen on that idea.Finally the hog moved and he dropped down and caught his back leg while I nailed him. All of this took about 15 minutes and the dogs were pretty tired. We looked at the dogs and there was one cur that was cut behind the front shoulder and that was all. If that bulldog hadn't had a vest on he would have been killed the way that pig was slamming him around.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That one has some fine cutters. Could really do some damage to man or beast.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hollared at him to drop down on his back and catch the other ear so I could stick him but he wasn't too keen on that idea.

They just don't make hogmen like they used to...... dancing

Sounds like a helluva good pit. Congratulations to him and the mesquite bush guy. They both came out with just a few thorns. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a Boar there. Good job.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pig

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Solid Boar! Beautiful brindle reminds me of some of our dogs we got.

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that catch dog is a good prospect.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote