Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting snares for hogs
 Login/Join

posted
Doing some riverbottom hog snaring inside the city limits. Going to set them as leghold, two snares per set. Anyone else done this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck... there is almost nothing on a hog's leg that will hold a snare. Their legs are quite "slick" in my experience...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
We've been setting coyote snares for years and I don't recall ever snaring a hog. Buy or make a trap.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of hogs caught in a snare but never seen it and not by the leg.

I would think if you have a snare on a fence like a coyote trap, you would run the risk of cathing a hog big enough to do some damage to your fence before it dies or you find him. Just a thought.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have caught hogs in snares and it can be tough. If you don't get there quickly his buddies might eat him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hogs that have taken over my best feeder. They show up around midnight. I am going to try and snare them the African way when I get back from Zimbabwe. They have completely ruined this primo location.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to construct a 30' x 30' pen of hog panel to keep them out. A while back in 5 weeks time I had 3,000 pix on one of my game cams. 2,997 were of hogs, with a number of pix of turkey, squirrels fox and cows. Three were of deer. With that many hogs coming in, the deer don't stand a chance. Course if you like eating hogs and using them for a test medium for examining the terminal ballistics of different bullets, that ain't so bad.

GWB

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
This past weekend my step-daughter and her husband came out and spent a few days with us. One of the things I told them that would try and do, was go out and shoot a couple of hogs for them. We made a couple of attempts at two places where we have plenty of hogs coming in, but they were coming in later than we really wanted to stay out, and neither of the kids have had any experience shooting at stuff that is being illuminated by a spotlight.

With all the stuff we had going on while they were out here, I decided on a different ploy. My son-in-law went with me out to one of the places where we store some of our equipment, and loaded up one of the hog traps the boss had bought several years back. We took it out to the first place we had tried earlier in the week, unloaded it near the spin feeder and baited it up. This was on Tuesday afternoon, around 3 p.m. the next morning by the time everyone gets up/eats breakfast and we get all the livestock tended too, by the time we make the drive from the house to the place where the trap was, we get to ther trap about 9:30 in the morning.

As we are driving toward the trap, there is a spot where I can see the front of the trap, and the door is closed. One concern I had at that moment was the possibility of a fawn or small doe having gotten in the trap and tripped the door closed.

When we drove around the final patch of brush we found a lot more than what we were hoping for.

These were the five I shot, we let 3 more of the same size range out of the trap. The biggest animal weighed 80 to maybe 85 pounds, the next 2 went around 50, and the smallest 2 were 35 to 40 pounds each.

The feeder where I set the trap at does not have a pen around it. Over the past 2 years I have been building feed pens for people who have been having problems with hogs and cattle at their feeders.

Following are some pictures of one of the pens I built for one hunter, I have built 3 such pens on this place. The first picture is of the hog door option some folks want. Some hunters have more problems with cattle than hogs, while others want to keep everything but deer and turkeys away from their feeders.

These pens measure about 50 to 52 feet in diameter. I use 6' to 6'6'' tee posts and 16' long by 52" tall utility cattle panels. I normally use 10 panels for a pen. Most of the time if the feeder is set up as close to center of the pen as is possible, the spinner will not throw any corn outside the pen. The hog hole for those that want them are roughly 2'x 2' and braced with a short piece of tee post on each side. For those that don't want the hog windows, on every other panel I cut out a section about 18" from the top down and 6' to 8' feet long for the deer to jump over and enter the pen.

These pens are roughly roundish/octagonal in shape, which some folks feel are more difficult for hogs to get into than square or rectangular pens.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC,
by time you were through with skinnin' those hoglets I'd be willing to be you had more fleas on you than the hogs did.
Five is a chore for a fellow. We've got to where we don't open them up in the summer. Just take the backstraps and the hinds. In fact I'm starting to bone the hinds out while still attached. I made enough pulled pork out of three small hinds earlier in the week to feed 10 folk.

GWB

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just take the backstraps and the hinds.

In all honesty, that was what I did with the 3 largest. I ended up getting too hot and got sick, so the 2 smaller hogs ended up as coyote bait.

Hated to lose the meat, but hated to have a heat stroke even more. One thing I have figured out, is how to pull the tenders out with out hitting the gut.

The most pigs I ever butchered in one day is 12 and they were 20 to 30 pounders, but that was 5 or 6 years back. Trying to do those 5 was rough enough.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have caught thousands of hogs with legholds what style are you planning on using? Over the years I have used and developed many different types if sets and triggers for different terrain etc.

Goodluck!

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote