Find
Notify
Tools

Tomahawks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
I hunted boars with rifles ,shotgun,pistols,bow ,spear and mostly with knife but after training a bit with tomahawks i believe i can use it effectively against a boar specially the LA GANA model,see www.americantomahawk.com .What you think. Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After watching a couple of the videos i dont think it would be effective against a hog. The penetration would be limited to the depth of the blade on either side, not enough to get to the vitals for a clean kill. Would probably kill the animal after much time and suffering on the animals part, really just a stunt. Why would any responsible hunter want to subject an animal to such a prolonged death? Just to say that you did it? Maybe if you hit it in the head it would kill it outright but i wouldnt bet on it.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back of the head with the pointed end ? Find a "tactical pig" and let us know ! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
this works but I cant recomend it. had to kill one with a hammer once it was not fun but interesting just the same. your tomahawk idea is sound let us know how it works good luck to you

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ibelieve i can kill it in only one movement ,faster than with the knife ,besides that while the hog or you are figthing you feel not pain ,i can assure that because i broke my bones a lot of times sparring in martial arts and never feel pain .Ok we will see....Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Juan,

I've not hunted Pigs in your way but if given the choice I would probably take the CQC-T, as it looks like it would pierce the skull easier and has the bend in the blade to give the leverage to cause internal damage.

Of course you are the man when it comes to killing pigs with a blade so why would you choose the other one?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Hogs with dogs, sticks, knives, swords, spears, rifles, shotguns, bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders, handguns, and now the mighty tomahawk!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
99: Damn right!
Read some of Juan's other posts and you'll soon see he's a "real sportsman that cares".
He kill's 'em outright and no suffering.

I'm beginning to agree with you D99.
(I can understand why you're in Italy!! hehe)

JuanP: Howdy!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgulla:
After watching a couple of the videos i dont think it would be effective against a hog. The penetration would be limited to the depth of the blade on either side, not enough to get to the vitals for a clean kill. Would probably kill the animal after much time and suffering on the animals part, really just a stunt. Why would any responsible hunter want to subject an animal to such a prolonged death? Just to say that you did it? Maybe if you hit it in the head it would kill it outright but i wouldnt bet on it.

Good post, "fgulla". Couldn't agree more. Those movie shots of people killing men with a (thrown) knife & tomahawk are conjured up in the minds of scriptwriters Smiler. I once tried to kill a man in a tunnel in VN with a knife. Ever since, I laugh when I see someone throwing a knife & killing someone on the screen. People also post about their accomplishments online. Some of those are questionable at best Roll Eyes.
We don't want to give the anti-hunters more ammo. Throwing knives & hawks at pigs is a sure fire way. I compete in Tomahawk & knife throwing at rendezvous, and am fairly proficient, but would never, ever try to kill an animal with either weapon uness I had no choice. But that's just my dos cenatvos.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Juanpozzi fella must really hate them pigs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan

I've broken my fair share of bones also, once the shock wears off(boxers fracture, broke 4th and 5th metacarpals) it hurt like a son of a bitch. Put it this way, if you try it, tape it, cause i will need a good laugh. Wink

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Inever throw any weapon i ll kill the pig while its catched by my dogos a lot of members of the forum hunted with me and they can testified that with lanhuel only the boars are easily killed ,even a big boar like the brothers apsley aka troglodyte killed 2 days ago .Inever throw a spear ,knife,or anything hunting only arrows with my bow im now full of clients some ARmembers but ill take photos .Why try a new weapon just to test it as a weapon .juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Hi Juan, I want to get one. I wonder if they are legal in California?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hey Juan, I am with you on this my friend thumb ...

Not totally convinced about how effective hunting boars with a tomahawk could be Confused , but I cannot deny that by doing so we will have our needed daily dosis of adrenaline rushing through our veins Cool Cool ...

Surely the best way to kill the boar would be with a hard stroke in the middle of the head, with great care for the dogs ...

Perhaps the best thing would be taking both the tomahawk aswell as a good pig sticking knife ... and when reaching the hoag for the final stab we would then decide which weapon should be used with most effectiveness and care Wink

Please consider one LA GANA for me when buying yours, PM me for needed details

VAMOS LOS DOGOS TODAVIA !!!! Big Grin

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We are killing a lot of hogs thanks to the rain ,yesterday we killed 8 ,im tracking a puma almost daily but i cannot kill it ,we are killing hogs with our bows too .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Oh no, now i must try Wildboar hunt with tomahawk also....

As a friend of me said when i told him about the Jabali hunting with knive, he said that the blood runs faster in the Latino veins.
Big Grin
Try it and see, a quick blow to the forehead is what is needed, i would havean knife also , because that might be a better option given the situation .

I wonder what PHC would have written from this tour.. Big Grin

(My poor bankaccount) rotflmo

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have checked on the Viet Nam Tomahawk with Cold Steel and shoud have some info tomorrow or Monday. Loooks like it would work well on a burglar. If a few of you chaps down south are interested we may be able to get a deal on shipping direct.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes the LA GANA is ideal for close combat ,in sites like felderknives or knifeoutlets are cheaper than in cold steel site BILL NEXT BOAR WILL BE KIlLED WITH THE TOMAHAWK.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Juan

I'm wondering that since the LaGana has been designed specifically for human CQB if we should design a hunting tomahawk that would be optimized for boars?

Maybe a little heavier with a longer spike since I would imagine using it as more of a hammer blow rather than a quick slashing action that you would use against the enemy in combat...?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
David we will test the LAGANA soon with Billinthewild as he will live here 3 monthts but yes i suspect the same ,im practicing kali so i believe i can put a hit in the skull and take the boar easily we will see .Ihave americans warriors living in my farm all the year .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hey Juan, am I allowed to "participate" in this test ? Cool Wink

Anxiety is killing me !!!

2020 2020 HUIJAAAAAAAAAAAA

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan

Or, if the angle is right, just behind the skull at the base of the neck. That will do the trick. The length of the handle on the la gana combined with the weight of the head will most definitely work, and work quickly.

Just make sure if you use a strap around your wrist, that it breaks under moderate pressure!

Can't wait to hear how it works on boar.

As for throwing a tomahawk, or knife for that matter, I was disabused of that notion long ago by some very experienced SF NCO's - by throwing any hand to hand weapon, you have only managed to disarm yourself. Not a good idea in close quarters combat.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Martin yes you can came ,i want to explore a new area full of feral hogs in a lagoon called La Verdecita i hunted the south coast with great results but a local guide told me the north coast is incredible for the size of the old feral hogs there we can try hunting form horseback with cavalry spears my old esc explo areot4 was moved and the site converted in a museum .... so i cloundt find the spears yet .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
That´s music to my ears !! no spears for this time then, just knife and or lever are allowed Cool Cool ....

I ll PM you for further details !!

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Juan and Martin. If the day comes when we find ourselves hunting from horseback, one of you must practice with the cavalry bugle to sound the charge. That will truly be music to our ears. At my age I might require the use of a chariot. 2020

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Juan and Martin. If the day comes when we find ourselves hunting from horseback, one of you must practice with the cavalry bugle to sound the charge. (...)

While reading your words, my brain figured out just an "image" of the three of us riding our horses at a certain speed with our spears ready for "combat", and with the white angels of death (as PHC called our dogos) showing us the way where the prey waits for us ready to fight back ... while my heart started to beat faster as an inmediate response to such a vivid image, I realized once again that few things in life can rivalize with the savour of sharing risks with true friends ....

Just one thing to say after these thoughts: WE HAVE TO DO IT !!!

quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
(....) At my age I might require the use of a chariot. 2020

May God let me reach your age with the same shape and attitude that you have, Bill !! thumb salute

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
posted Hide Post
I first read it I thought also he was thinking about throwing and agree that is a bad idea, but if it is as he describes I don't see any reason it is worse than a knife.

I watched a thing the other day on the Franscisca "tomahawk" and its use in battle. I think if you are against a human foe that is not armed with a firearm it could be effective (open space of course, but where does that happen anymore?). According to this thing even if it didn't hit you blade first the impact was not pleasant to deal with. They would actually ricochet them off the ground so they'd go flying wild into the oncoming enemies so they couldn't predict where it was going to hit.

I don't know about against humans, I think the weakness in a knife is it being heavy enough to penetrate deeply. cracks me up in Rambo when he throws his knife pinning the guy to the pole. with a tomahawk though the impact alone could mess somebody up. but the practicality of it in modern warfare...?????

As for pigs, I would think that a war hammer would be better (they had some cool ones in the movie Cold Creek Manner if you have seen it) like the one here would be better suited. Since the blade itself isn't likely to cut deep enough to do enough damage unless the aim is really on I would think the Impact or the Penetration of the spike are most effective.

I'm waiting for an e-mail from some company in europe (can't remember which country) about their Francisca axe which seems to be more of a real axe than the "for looks" replicas. would like to get one for my uncle who collects edged weapons.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Ihave americans warriors living in my farm all the year .Juan

In what part of Irak is your farm ???

L

Sorry I couldn't resist it Big Grin

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote