Find
Notify
Tools

Champion Hog Hunter of AR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
The fellas in Texas seem to take a lot of pigs...

just curious who took how many this year? and what was the method of take?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Gary Hall who posts here sometimes is up to triple figures I think. A couple of years ago he got 200 odd pigs for the year (don't know the correct number sorry Red Face) Mind you he goes out every weekend and sometimes midweek hunts. Doesn't hurt when he can walk down the end of his street and bag a pig either Cool

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only got 2. One with a bow and one with a 300 H&H.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
For the Texas contingent I'd have to say Rattlesnaker takes quite a few. I'm sure the Australians put up some pretty impressive numbers though.

Edited: I haven't taken any this year, been concentrating on not shooting a deer. We do have a bumper crop this year. I probably saw 30-50 this past weekend.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the Hawaii contingent I think Geoff takes quite a few on his hunts no doubt. I havent hunted much lately due to work but we get our fair share and method of take would of course be KNIFE cheers

Heres one my boyfriend got a couple weeks ago that had 4 inch tusk not too thick though.

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
a few years back, i was hunting and shooting them for a living, some good numbers were taken.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have an exact count but I probably killed about 40 hogs in 2005. My father, who I hunt with, killed about 225 hogs in 2005. Of course he's retired and can hunt 2 or 3 days/nights a week.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UltraMag:
For the Hawaii contingent I think Geoff takes quite a few on his hunts no doubt. I havent hunted much lately due to work but we get our fair share and method of take would of course be KNIFE cheers

Heres one my boyfriend got a couple weeks ago that had 4 inch tusk not too thick though.

Aloha!!!

Nice teeth! Any dogs cut? One of the worst hogs we ever caught was only about 200 lbs with 2 inch teeth. We call him the Artesia Wells boar since that's where we were hunting when we caught him. He cut 5 or 6 of our dogs very badly and killed one of our best dogs. That's significant since we've only lost 3 dogs to hogs in over 20+ years of hunting them. Anyway, I've come to realize that big bodies and big teeth don't necessarily mean that hogs are tough and good fighters.

I'd like to hear your story on this hog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:

Nice teeth! Any dogs cut? One of the worst hogs we ever caught was only about 200 lbs with 2 inch teeth. We call him the Artesia Wells boar since that's where we were hunting when we caught him. He cut 5 or 6 of our dogs very badly and killed one of our best dogs. That's significant since we've only lost 3 dogs to hogs in over 20+ years of hunting them. Anyway, I've come to realize that big bodies and big teeth don't necessarily mean that hogs are tough and good fighters.

I'd like to hear your story on this hog.

Boy I hear ya Rattlesnaker. I ran dogs from Rio Medina to Laredo and the worst hogs were the 150# sort. Athletic and aggressive. The really big boars seemed to back up into the whitebrush and just stand their ground. The only times I got dogs hurt by big boars was when the dogs thought they could handle something before the catch dogs got there.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Ultramag,

Thanks for the mention. However, my score shouldn't count, as you know I do it semi-professionally on problem animal control shoots.

However, I certainly enjoy it. There's something about whacking a bunch of porkers that really turns me on. You could say that I have a fetish about whacking pigs, whether it be the "pygmy" variety on Niihau or the larger variety in Australia.

See you at SCI Reno?

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Duggaboybuff,

That truck load of pigs makes me want to know more.

Can you give us some more details about that hunt?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Gary got this one last week. The first one for 2006.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Rattlesnaker- First of all I do agree with you and Walker here in Hawaii the worst ones are between 90-150# 1 1/2-2 1/2 inch tusk they love to hit and run.

I wasnt on the hunt but according to my boyfriend the dogs hit this boar late and he took them on a marathon race before the dogs finally pulled the boar up. When he got there only 2 dogs were on the boar and one dog took a shot to the chest and was in bad shape and the other dog was pretty tired as they were fighting him awhile before my boyfriend reached the action so he had to grab the boar and stab him quick so he could care for the dogs. The boar only weighed 111 lbs but he was a scrapper. I wish I could say we also only lost 3 dogs to hogs over 20+ years of hunting but sadly the number for us is far greater but it comes with the territory.

Bakes- Great way to start the New Year!!!!

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We took 243 with our clients this year i cannot say you how many i took in all my life but my 9 years old son took nearly 60 in his life .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
quote:
That truck load of pigs makes me want to know more.

Can you give us some more details about that hunt?

Palmer, I spent some time in Outback Australia, shooting for a living. A farmer had a sorgum crop, and it attracted every wild pig in the district to it. A freind and I were employed to shoot the pigs off the crops. This paticular night we shot about 60 hogs. In the three weeks leading up to this shoot we had taken over 300! The hogs on the back of the truck are the ones we sold for the European export market (human Consumption). Many smaller ones were left behind.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You know, even though I don't post much here, I visit regularly and this post caught my eye. Would there be any interest in some sort of a "contest" for the year? Maybe different catagories for different methods; archery, knife, free shooting, with dogs, etc.?

Just a thought...

ScottD

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you shoot upwards say 50 or 60 a year, What do you do with them?? Do people buy them, do you give them to churches??? Just wondering, that seems to be a lot of meat to eat.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad told me that he killed 335 hogs last year (almost 100 in december alone).

Generally he eats a few and just gives the rest of them away. Everyone in south texas eats wild hog meat and it's generally not difficult to get rid of it. During deer season we give them away to a guy that mixes it with venison to make sausage.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
We would often get requests from neighbors for hog meat when we would hunt on my friend's lease in Florida. Generally not difficult to give it away in Florida either.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have standing orders for pigs-in cool weather all I do is field dress them and cut off the head. In hot weather, they get gutted, skinned and quartered, and put in an icechest with 1-gal bottles of ice.

Myself, only killed about 10 this year.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Had dinner with a few guys in Darwin last year in October and the four guys had just come back from a pig cull in the Kymberleys in Northern Western Australia. They shot 360 pigs in the week's trip.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a lot of pork.