New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt from 3 Weeks Ago
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took some buddies down to hunt with me and we caught 6 hogs for the weekend with only one being a decent boar. The rest were sows and small boars.

We caught the decent boar right off the bat as the dogs found him and ran him for a ways before baying him up and eventually catching him. As luck would have it they caught him about 10 yards off the road so it was easy on all of us.

Incidentally, after the trip one of the guys had to have surgery to remove a thorn that was lodged in a tendon in his hand. It took cuts on his knuckle, palm and finger and 30+ stitches after it was all done.

Here were a few other hogs we caught the next day.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Cool

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
It really makes my day to se you haveing such good luck. It made my week to see the knife your wearing. Awsome stuff.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Looks like you've been busy!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker -- this is what I'm talking about! Excellent! Thanks again!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
Cool. What sort of dogs? I'm assuming you are knifing them?

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we usually stick them with a knife but we'll shoot a few too.

Most of the dogs are blackmouth cur crosses. We have a couple of dogo x catahoula crosses too. These dogs work well in thick areas but I'm also keeping my eye out for a couple of Aussie type dogs to hunt in some of our open fields. I have some friends that trying greyhound and staghound crosses for some open country hunting or just fast catch dogs.

I have a couple of places right now that would be awesome for a couple of those fast hard catching dogs if I had some. But not many people around here have dogs like yours so they are hard to come by. As soon as I get them then I won't need them. Big Grin

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
Most of my hunting group use Dane / mastiff cross type dogs - great on the nose and for the thick stuff but a bit slow in the open. My staghound can run any pig down, even if it's got a good head start. If he can't stop it himself he will nip at it's ass until it turns, then he will bail it until the heavy hitters arrive. It saves the slower dogs a LOT of energy. Check out my post in the Aussie hunting section.

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote