New
Find
Notify
Tools

Down In The Dumps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I'm depressed and deprived. Went to the hog hunting place last night and sat over both feeders, and didn't even see a 'coon. Dang the bad luck.

But, it was a productive evening, as I got the batteries changed on the game cam and two lights installed on the new feeder. Plus it was a beautifully clear night and I enjoyed looking at the stars thru the binocs. Also saw 3 different satellites pass overhead--and those things are fast!

Got Grandpa duties this weekend, so I won't be back at the feeders until next week.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be worse - no pig hunting here in Utah 'cept for an operation up north where they let people shoot auction boars that are released along their private streamside property.
So bide your time and enjoy the granddad duties :-)

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got back to the field tonight, with a stop first at the place closest to home that I just recently received permission to hunt. Drove down into the bottom, parked the truck, and rolled down the window to watch the turkeys--11 of them, including two big horny gobblers. Spring season is open, but shotgun only, and I have no desire to shoot another turkey unless it is with my bow.

About 7:05 I saw movement at the feeder (125 yds) and put the binocs on it. PIGS!!!! A bunch of little ones--maybe 20-25 lbs each--9 of them. Then I noticed a big black head sticking out from behind a patch of brush, and Momma comes out. Gun out the window, rest on the mirror-safety off, and wait for Mom to present the right shot angle--took at least 15 seconds. Breathe, exhale half, aim, squeeeeezzzzeeeee, BAM! Down and dead, and the little ones scattered like a covey flushing before I could get another round chambered.

After a very muddy sliding drive to the feeder, I hoisted her up on the scale and she tipped it at 155--but about 5-10 lbs was mud.

You'll have to wait on the pictures as I cannot find my USB cable to transfer the pics and my printer/computer interface is up-so. I promise I'll have them tomorrow!!!

Now, after shooting this sow, I went on to my other place as I needed to check the feeders and pull the card out of the game camera. I walked the river bottom for about an hour but nothing--there's a campground across the river and the nice weather had folks out enjoying it, and there was too much commotion for the pigs to be out and about. I drove across the ranch to the other feeder, and as I drove up, saw at least one pig run off--so I should have sneaked instead of driving, but they've been coming so late at night, I didn't expect to see any as it was only 9:15. Oh well, it's good news that they are back and coming earlier--I'll be back too.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Good news, dustoffer! Looking forward to the pictures!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Dustoffer! looks like you are back on top.

beer

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Job +1, I've yet to get one at my feeder. Not sure why, lots of sign within a quarter of a mile, just none in this field. Frowner I think I'm just going to cut the feeder off for a while until I see some sign in the field. I'm tired of feeding possums and coons.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK--here's the pics--and she obviously isn't a "lady". In fact, she looks like something you'd find in the bar on Saturday night at closing time.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice job, dustoffer! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, she looks like something you'd find in the bar on Saturday night at closing time.

animal animal

Dead is Dead
Good job

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
OK--here's the pics--and she obviously isn't a "lady". In fact, she looks like something you'd find in the bar on Saturday night at closing time.

You have just got to find some nicer bars! Pretty rifle, is that your 22-250. I had a Stainless and wood version of that rifle in 22-250. The problem I had with it was that the thermoplastic bedding compound bonded to the metal and the stock was so fragile that I was afraid to force it off. It still shot well but would not hold it's zero.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rickt300--
yep, that's the .22-250. Bought it used from a gunsmith buddy because I just liked its looks. He let me shoot it first to be sure it would group reasonably well, and the accuracy loads from my Win Coyote shot just under 1.1" at 100 so I figured I was OK. First thing I did was tune the trigger and then had it bedded. I'm like you--don't like that winchester hot glue gun bedding. It now shoots .75" and under if I seat the bullets out to the rifling, but then I can only get one in the mag and one in the chamber, so I seat them deeply enough to run through the mag and get 1.2" groups at 100 yds. Since all my hog spots are generally 150 and under, it's not a problem, and if I'm presented with a 200 yd shot, it's a "through the lungs" shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of putting together a 22-250 with a 1 in 8 inch twist. I thought about going to a bigger case but I have dies and lots of brass for the 22-250. I want to test out some of the amazing claims of 75 grain bullets and fast twist barrels. what is holding me up is that I have a very accurate 6MM Remington that is plenty light though it has a 26 inch barrel.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a 6mm on a Savage action, with a 26" heavy barrel in a synthetic stock that weighed about 10 lbs. Shot one deer with it (doe, in the eye, 192 yds) and stuck in back in the safe. Finally sold it last year to reap funds to scratch my rimfire collecting itch. I do like the 6mm. That long neck really makes for straight bullet seating.