Find
Notify
Tools

Call From Landowner
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Frowner Big Grin Confused

Had a message when I got in yesterday afternoon--said "Get off your duff and kill these hogs." Apparently when he was driving out on vacation he encountered two big sows and 15 or so other pigs doing their dozer imitation in his coastal pasture. Oh, he also said "Have fun".

I went to the place after supper to pull the card from the game cam to see if the hogs had found the feeder yet, and to sit until dark just in case one decided to show up to catch a bullet. Put on my knee boots to cross the creek as we've had some rain--well, more rain than boots and I had to walk back to the truck in squishy boots. Here's the two most interesting pics from the game cam--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Good luck this weekend. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so many varmints,
so little time.
tuff job, but somebody's gotta do it.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I did a "drive-by" of this place on the way to one of my other pig shooting galleries and there was nothing in the field but donkeys. Got to my other place and in my seat at 8:25, hot as hades, but a breeze in my face. After sitting a while, noticed one of my lights was pointed at the ground, so got up and strolled to the pen to put it on the right spot--back to chair, followed by hordes of 'skeeters. Thank God for the Thermocell--had one bite during my sit other than walking around.

At 9:20 I heard a grunt and looked to my left and saw 'em coming.

Stuffed my earplugs in, got the rifle on the bipod, and picked out what looked like a nice one. No corn on the ground as feeder hadn't spun yet and they were getting ready to leave when I hammered one. I thought I heard the bullet hit-it's only 55 yds. Then there were pigs hauling ham and I swung on another and let fly--didn't see it go down, but heard lots of squealing for about 10 seconds, then silence.

Never found a trace of blood nor the pig--but in coastal pasture shooting at running hogs in near darkness when they aren't on a trail makes for iffy conditions. However, when I walked back to the feeder, found this one--101 lbs on the hoof. The .22-250 just keeps on killing 'em.

Bobby--that big boar of "yours" is still coming in, but hasn't been in on my shift yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not a bad evenings entertainment.
+1 on the thermocell. They flat work!
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 22-250 is just about up and running. Planning on using Hornady's 60 gr. HP's and soft points. In fact i should put out a hog toy soon and check the others out to see if they are empty. I am slow to respond when it is this hot out though.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rickt300- I don't like the heat either and if not for the breeze, it would have been unbearable. Thankfully, I had a bottle of cold water and only had to sit for an hour. The hour I spent looking for the other pig was miserable though and doing a field dress and skin job on this one for a friend was even more enjoyable-NOT!

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Keep poppin' them!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The skeeters are coming on pretty hard this year and the chiggers are in there too. Lovely.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote