New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Pen Trap Pays Off
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Built a large pen trap--6 16' panels with a 4' gate/door and put a 55-gal feeder inside as the hogs had gotten leary of the box-type trap I had. Took couple of months to coax them into the trap as the other feeder was clearly their favorite. Well, the camera said there was a wad coming regular now, so I set the trap and when I showed up this afternoon, there was a "wad" inside. Here's what a wad looks like on camera:

The bigger sow was large enough I shot her with the .22-250 from about 75 yds away to be sure she didn't climb out (186 lbs with 5 in the oven). She hit the dirt and the 15 shoats (50-90 lbs) started running like crazy. I walked up to the pen, drew the 1911 .22 LR and started sniping. Stopped to change mags and noticed 6 of them running off-they had managed to break one of the panels and wedge it open just enough to get out. I hustled over to the hole and stood in front of it to stop that nonsense, and finished off the remaining survivors. I'm gonna take my Nylon 66 from now on--running pigs with a pistol is tough.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
A man with a plan! tu2

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dang! That looks like a massacre! Nice work and great planning! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice! clap That's a lot of sausage right there.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We switched to corral traps a couple of years ago and can't believe the number of pigs we've taken at one time. The first time the door dropped, we got 17 and the latest bag was 38!

Most were little ones, but a few of those will make a dent quick!

Not to be confused with the sport of hog hunting - but effective control compared to ones and twos you get in a box trap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Payday... tu2

Dustoffer, could you post a picture of how you set the gate on your round trap. The pigs have all but stopped going into the traps we have been using, need something new/different.

By God, Woodrow; it's been one hell of a party.

Posts: 44 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
swifter--I'll get a picture tonight when I go to re-bait and get it up tomorrow sometime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's stacking them up.
Good work!

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
swifter--here's a diagram of the trap--the two straight lines are a rope stretched across the back opposite the door about 15 inches off the ground, and the line headed to the door is the line that closes the doors when the pigs hit the low line.

Here's a pic of my "hold-open" for the doors. It's a simple 3-piece wood frame I made. The trigger rope is tied to it in the middle and when the hogs hit the rope in back it pulls the prop out from under the doors and they drop.

I put lots of corn in the pen too--I want them to pile in and pile up instead of the first one running to the back of the trap and tripping it--

If the pigs have stopped going in--maybe the blood smell has built up -- take a good rain to fix that. Also, might not hurt to take out one section of the pen for a while to give them more entries. Once they start going back inside, reinstall the section, and paint a "golden road" around the perimeter of the trap outside, then into the trap. Hogs' stomachs most often overtrump their sense of caution/survival.

Good Luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Very Much Dustoffer.

I see now what I need to do. I have liked the principal of the big round traps, even though I had never actually seen one up close.

Thanks Again! beer

Posts: 44 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of another style of round trap I saw somewhere--looks over-engineered to me but might be easier to take down and relocate--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That may be an interesting build. Build the panels where you can just pin them together. Easy to move and set up. Don't have to drive post or pull them up.

I also think that the weight from being all pinned together would keep a larger pig from getting under the bottom rail and picking it up.

Can't really tell if the gate is on a trip wire or spring. I like the thought that went into that trap.

Of course, you can take ten people and build ten different traps. Then take the best of those and guild twenty different traps and so on. And the first one would probably work as well as number 438. Thanks Again Sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't have to drive post or pull them up. I also think that the weight from being all pinned together would keep a larger pig from getting under the bottom rail and picking it up.

I have a trap that looks a lot like this and one time I had 10 pigs caught and was backing up to load them out and when I got out of the pickup I only had 2 left. Now I drive t- post on all four sides. If there is a way to escape pigs will find it.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a trap that looks a lot like this and one time I had 10 pigs caught and was backing up to load them out and when I got out of the pickup I only had 2 left. Now I drive t- post on all four sides. If there is a way to escape pigs will find it.

there went that thought........

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Good work!!!!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also got 8 'coons this week. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pigs might be dumb on some things but, they're not totally stupid at times either.

Don't know as blood is a total turn off. Judging from the blind I shot from in Fla. that was used several times a week the guy claimed and lots of pigs shot within a few feet of where I shot my two on succesessive days too.

Anything pinned like those panels need to be locked otherwise also so the pins won't pull out. maybe a curved pin, or cotter pin, nut or such to keep them from pulling apart when they do try to go under it.

We had some brahma's that played hell with the corral panels and got 'em apart once. They all got out, a couple on the hwy, one got hit by a car too. Damned expensive for just the lack of a final lock up.

george

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote