New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lack of rain effecting hog hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just curious to see if anyone else in TX has been experiencing this. It hasn't rained much since July in some of my normal good spots to hunt hogs and a lot of them have left the area moving towards the Colorado or the Brazos rivers respectivly from where I hunt. Anyone else seeing this?

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
We still have a lot of pigs but they are making sure they are close to water, which means that they left some of their previous favorite spots which have dried up. They will certainly leave places without water.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have to year-round sources of water on the ranch I hunt. One large tank is about 24' deep and right now in the midst of a long dry spell it still is holding about 18' of water. The other is a small tank about 30' across that is about 2' deep. We keep it filled with from a well, and the animals in the east pasture appreciate it. WE don't do it for the hogs, but for the deer. Otherwise they would have to cross the highway to get water, and the 18-wheelers and pickups are deadly.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My property has two ox-bow lakes or sloughs that usually hold lots of hogs, wood ducks & mallards when it isn't so dry. Not seeing much now. Game is getting water at the river.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has really been dry here in South Texas. The place I hunt on, in the brush country, was crawling with hogs last season but, I haven't seen any this season. They trapped a few at the beginning of the season, but no one, even on the ranches around us has seen any since.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I think we are all doing rain dances now.......

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We got some showers last nigh. I was on the water at Port A when a good storm hit down there. Also ran through scattered thunderstorms all the way back to San Antonio, the heaviest around Mathis. Not drought breakers but it helps.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Granted, the small showers here helped the dry air, but did little for the ground. It is getting to the point where the ranchers around here (myself included) are looking at each other and wondering what we will do with our cattle when the water sources completely dry up.

It is going to take a heavy rain (for the run-off to fill the tanks - ponds for you non-texans) and a slow soaking rain over two days to get the ground moisture back.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote