New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better to be lucky than good!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was at my South Texas lease Thursday afternoon. I was just riding along, singing a song and minding my own business when I turned off a sendero and headed to the road that divides the pastures. It was dusk and heading toward dark-thirty. I had thought about sitting out, but i'd been working, was hot and sweaty and the wind was blowing in excess of 20 mph. Well sure 'nuf when I turned, directly ahead of me, I spied a black shape at what turned out to be 230 yds. I got my binocs out of the case and took a look. Sure enough, a good sized wet sow was smack dab in the middle of the road, just rooting around. I stopped my Expedition, got out and opened the hatch. I unlimbered my Rem. 700 in 300 H&H and grabbed my rangefinder. Yup, two-hunert n' turdy yds.

I laid the rifle over the hood and took aim.

Center punched her!

Better to be lucky than good.

BTW,

TITS UP.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always good to see a dead pig, well done sir.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice hit GW. Wonder where the young'uns are. Looks like a lot of milk there.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Looks like you did a good job to me!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Good job there GW.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You have to love those unplanned/incidental opportunities! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dead pig is a good pig! Nice shooting!

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Nice hit GW. Wonder where the young'uns are. Looks like a lot of milk there.

After I made the shot and heard the thump, I immediately got the cross-hairs back on the sow. They are usually down for the count, but from time to time one will get up. I hate losing a critter in the scrum, so I was getting ready for a second shot should she get up. While doing this about a half dozen football size shoats and black pig about the same size ran across the road. My focus was on my intial target and I did not try to do a follow up on the one that ran across the road.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
You have to love those unplanned/incidental opportunities! tu2 tu2

Ya, I'd been trying to get away for a week and had a flat on my trailer on the way down. I had spent the last three hours fixing broken schitt and filling feeders. Wind was blowing 20mph plus and I was not in the mood to sit in a blind. Lady luck smiled on me.

ya!

GWB

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I feel your excitement G. Being the occasional white tail hunter who's opportunities at a shot are rare, I'm still jittery from February last year at Gato's place. I saw 10 big game animals (hogs) in an hour, and that is only counting the adults. Get 'em G, get dem hogs.
You too Gato. Hope you are whacking a few.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Seems like a very happy accident, indeed!

Hope you have more of them in your future!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote