Find
Notify
Tools

Best slug load for hog?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
I've made my self up a "poor man's double rifle" using a Stoeger 12ga uplander side-x-side. Skeet chokes were installed, but may get the rifled chokes later on. I dovetailed the rib for a rifle sight on the rear (the front bead did perfectly as a front sight) and had the triggers smithed.
What I'm now interested in is what those of you with experience in using slugs would recommend, specifically weight of slug, type of slug, and velocity. Will be hunting thick brush and open fields.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagic.html

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms...ld_short_magnum.html

Let us know what kind of accuracy you get.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use 20gauge slugs over my dogs out of a 16 inch barreled single shot. They all pretty much work on pigs. An ounce of lead takes a bit of stopping. I only ever recovered one, a big flat disc under the far side skin of a 200+ lb boar.
just buy a few different brands and see if one is more accurate than the others at 20 meters.

Posts: 4324 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ugartechea SxS 12 bore was regulated with the Brenekke 1 oz MP's and will put multiple pairs inside and inch and a falf or so at 50 yards. As such it is the only slug I use and it has worked well on hogs, one decent boar getting a running Texas heart shot at about 40 yards. The slug was found laying in the boars throat and he just dropped at the shot.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your input. I do have some 1oz Brenneke slugs and some Winchester 3" 1oz at 1760fps that shoot well in my gun. Will try some other Brenneke loads. I was interested in performance and your replies helped.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prof242, you might want to look at Dixie Slugs, they offer some mean slugs and the best buckshot on the market. The Triball loading is 3 x .62 balls per shell. In your application these would be hard to beat. With full or xtra full chokes they are getting very tight patterns to 50 yds or more.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2nd vote for the Dixie Triballs.
I've got mod. choked gun they shoot very well out of.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dixie slugs are devasting as well. Worth looking into.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
On a whim last year, I tried some .735" pure lead roundballs out of my 870. Loaded in a 3" Hull, with a BP X12X gas seal, modified Federal 12S3 (petals cut off), over 40gr of Blue Dot, roll crimped. To my amazement, these things printed into a clover leaf at 50yds no bigger than 1.5" center-to-center, for five shots. I've since loaded many more and the accuracy is simply fantastic for such a cheap, uncomplicated load. It duplicates the Brenneke 3" 600gr slug, with the ability to tweak the load for best accuracy.

Also of note, I have a 100pc box of bare 730gr Dixie Slugs that I used to develop a good handloaded slug. I tried every combo they suggested and couldn't get groups under a foot in diameter, in two seperate guns of different manufacture. Both rifled barrels. Try a few before you order a bunch, if you do go with Dixie. They make a great product, that my guns just didn't like. Disappointing really!!

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote