New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron Sights vs scope 4 hog
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which do you guys prefer for wild boar only hunts,scopes or irons?I have heard to use irons,and to leave the scope at home...scope just something else to go wrong,range short dont need scope,scopes fog and get wet,scopes get broken/muddy/knocked off zero,irons quicker and better for running game,irons more sporting......

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good question. My experience with hogs has been limited, and both times the shots were under 80 yards and on moving game. Both times, I used my only rifle: a .300 Win Mag with a Leupold 3.5x10x40mm scope on it. At low setting, it is just wide enough for 70 yard shots on running game. I have seriously considered an iron-sighted rifle just for hogs. I have also thought a .308 Steyr Scout with a forward-mounted 2 1/2 power scope would be an ideal close-in hog gun.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wayne sounds good to me.I just have allways been haunted by a few quick ,running close range shots that i missed years ago because i just coulnt find hair in the scope that quick,I always believed a iron sight would have saved the day.........Its easy to just throw up and look down the barrel for the bead.......

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Depends entirely on where you are hunting them. If you have a lot of open fields and some distance, nothing wrong with a scoped rifle. If the terrain is thick and you need quick response time, iron all the way.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 1x4 would work well as would a scout rifle set up .A peep [ghost ring type] for irons.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything wrong with express sights?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with express sights. I've got them on my .416 and .458. They work well for me, but I practice a lot with them. But, they are very hard to see when the light starts fading.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am dog hunting, I prefer iron or peep sights. If I am doing spot and stalk, especially in thick woods, I prefer a scope. I have a 1-4x leupold on my Guide Gun, and just took a 230 lb. mostly pure russian boar with it last weekend.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i hunt at night.. iron sights are a no-no.. good low power scope all the way Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: texas | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
How about the new generation of red dot sites?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried them all. I like scopes for stand hunting and dot sights if its thick and the hog might be running. I have express sights on my 350 RM with Leupold QR bases and two sights one is a 2x7 Leupold the other is a Aimpoint dot. This gives me the ability to switch sights for the given situation.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found the best way to hit close targets in a hurry is to stick with one rifle, sight and load. I did it last year, and it paid off big time during deer season. Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, I prefer scopes. I try to shoot most of my hogs behind the ear, head shots.

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only hunted hogs a few times, both with irons and with a scope.

As mentioned above, where you hunt figures in a great deal. I hunt in mountain laurels and oak so shots tend to be within thirty yards or so. Irons and peeps have served me well, as has a low powered variable ( 1X-3X Weaver ) set at the lowest magnification.

The only advantage to a scope in my hunting environment is the extra light provided during an overcast day when the canopy blocks out some of the light. Peeps also tend to work better than blade sights, for me, under these conditions.

Where I go they frown on scoped rifles when dogs are used...as good a chance of getting a dog as a hog. I spot and stalk, so this isn't an issue.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
I like open sights. It's easier for me to re-acquire my target, especially in wooded areas.
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting with dogs you need to be using open sights. This is because you need an open field of view because dogs are prone to darting in and out of your line of fire and you need to know where they are. A scope, even a 2 power will cut down on you view in close quarters.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If shots are under 100 yds I prefer iron sights. Ghost rings are my favorite type of open sight, though I've also grown fond of the shallow-V express sights on my Ruger RSM.

Over 100 yds a scope gets the nod.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Except for close up dog hunting, scopes or red dots are better. Why, because with a scope you can see to place your shots MUCH better in the deep twilight when hogs tend to move. I can shoot a hog anywhere I want to with a good scope when you won't be able to see your irons, except maybe for a big dot ghost ring type or tritiums, of course. I have a set of Ashley's on one Marlin .45-70 and a good scope is still superior at near dark, especially on an overcast day.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inside 100yds with reasonable visibility - Red dot type evry time no doubt.Quickest acquisition and best application for 2 eyes open running shots.
This is why red dots are the choice of the open class IPSC shooters.
Past 100yds and close to dark or in very heavy shaded swamps and cover - low power variable from high quality maker.
Forget irons altogether.
My statements come from 40yrs experience and 3500+ pigs in that time.
I have used express sights [on double rifles]; ghost peeps; many different variables and red dots as well as illuminaed low power variables.
Use a 5 minute dot if you want precision [you can still shoot a crow size target at 125yds with this size dot or 10 min if most targets will be pigs under 80 yds and running!
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
APB:

Say on, brother. 40 years and 3500 pigs, WOW! Now that is the voice of experience. I'd love to get in on one of those Aussie pig shoots. Maybe someday. Good hunting.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gatogordo
I have noticed that you are a voice of reason with your advice and we are in agreement on most issues when it comes to the demise of the pig.
Certainly I have shot pigs every single year in the last 40 and I continue to get enjoyment from doing so.
For each of the last 16 years I have spent a minimum of a fortnight in Cape York. This is the north east point of Australia if you look at a map and over 2000km from where I currently live.
Glad to offer advice if you ever head our way.
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a scope under 99.9% of the time, where a scope can't go give me a 12 gauge with sg's Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I am very fond of leupold low powered scopes eg. 2.5x compact and 1-4 for pig hunting.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote