New
Find
Notify
Tools

Down 'N Dead
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Out for a sit last week at this spot and hog showed at 10:15. Thought I got off a good shot but all I saw was a cloud of dust. Checked where it was standing and found no blood, only a few little bits of mud which is normal as they come to the feeder from a tank about 300 yds away. Went to the range and checked zero--still dead on so I just blew the shot.

Last night went to my other place where they are regular as clockwork between 9 & 11 PM--no shows.

Back to the spot where I missed tonight, and this boar showed at 10:30 and I broke his neck. Rifle is my usual M70 FW in .22-250 shooting 55-gr Ballistic Tips at 3550 fps. Entry wound was nickel sized and exit was half-dollar.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
another one bites the dust... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LIke you I have found the 222, 223 and 22-250 all one needs for hogs..I like the 60 gr.Hornady SP or HP, works well on deer up to 200 yards btw..I read about the shield of grissel and the need for large bore rifles, but don't know where that came from. its not a fact at all..Hogs are easy to kill if you place the bullet in the heart/lung, spine or brain.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I try to put in mid-way between the eyeball and earhole and that results in a dead right there hog. Range isn't much of a factor with me as I am hunting over feeders with a shooting lane of 80 yds on one and 125 on another.

Just like bowhunting--it is as much where you stick 'em as what you stick 'em with .

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Atkinson wrote: " ...read about the shield of grissel and the need for large bore rifles, but don't know where that came from. its not a fact at all.."
-----

Ray-

I kill most hogs with 30-30-based wildcats -- so I agree with you that there is no need for a big bore rifle. But if you kill/butcher a large # of truly wild hogs, you'll see that the thickened cartilage over the shoulders does indeed exist and is not hearsay. I've posted a number of photos of it over the years. It's not a myth.

Do they all have one over the vital chest area? No. But I can assure you that some can be downright impressive. One of the thickest was on a 180 pound rogue boar and was right at an inch. I've posted that photo more than once.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When skinning big boars (for tamale makings) we often would have to slice the hide vertically about every 6" to get it over the shoulder area---if we didn't slice it, the hide would not peel off. Sometimes it was in cold months when the gutted hog had hung overnight, but even in the warm months, that hide and cartilage region can be a toughie. But--never had a bullet or a broad-head equipped arrow bounce off one.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yep...that's a necessity for getting that hide removed when the cartilage is thick around the shoulder region, dustoffer. Thanks for pointing that out!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kill most hogs with 30-30-based wildcats -- so I agree with you that there is no need for a big bore rifle. But if you kill/butcher a large # of truly wild hogs, you'll see that the thickened cartilage over the shoulders does indeed exist and is not hearsay. I've posted a number of photos of it over the years. It's not a myth.

It is definitely not a myth and it does vary from animal to animal. I remember one that the shield was 3/4 inch or so thick over the shoulders and ran all the way back to just in front of the hams, where it had thinned down to about 1/4 inch thick. That was the most coverage I have seen on one animal.

On another I told my client to aim for "Dead On" the shoulder on a pig that went 170 - 175 pounds. He was using a .7mm Rem Mag, forgot what bullets he was using, the shot was about 140 yards and at the shot the pig dropped on the spot. When we loaded the pig up I noticed that there was not an exit hole.

When skinning the animal I found the bullet balled up in the off side shield, a half inch maybe a little more from the inside of its hide.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Lost one hog to a .243 on a behind the shoulder shot....tracked that dude a long ways through sand dunes and never found him.

I prefer the .284dia+ for pigs. But I don't like taking head shots just in case it has a decent skull.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

It is definitely not a myth and it does vary from animal to animal. I remember one that the shield was 3/4 inch or so thick over the shoulders and ran all the way back to just in front of the hams, where it had thinned down to about 1/4 inch thick. That was the most coverage I have seen on one animal.

On another I told my client to aim for "Dead On" the shoulder on a pig that went 170 - 175 pounds. He was using a .7mm Rem Mag, forgot what bullets he was using, the shot was about 140 yards and at the shot the pig dropped on the spot. When we loaded the pig up I noticed that there was not an exit hole.

When skinning the animal I found the bullet balled up in the off side shield, a half inch maybe a little more from the inside of its hide.

Is hot a big boy a few years ago with 30-06 and 180gr partitions. It took a large amount of beating before it went down. The gristle layer was pretty substantial behind the shoulder down to the chest, so much so that the whole front of the partition peeled off in the first inch or two and only sent the base through the vitals. The range was less than 100 yds. No exit wounds, 4 rounds were hurried in the off side gristle layer.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huge fan of neck and head shots on hogs! Really like having them be right where I shot them and to not have to go looking around in the dark.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that "shield" actually just be scar tissue from many fights and tusk punctures?
That would explain the difference between animals that have or don't have much of one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6014 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the shields be too even and consistent to be caused by fighting, though it may be a genetic change to protect the hog from that kind of damage.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunsmoker:
I have seen the shields be too even and consistent to be caused by fighting, though it may be a genetic change to protect the hog from that kind of damage.

In our area, size seems to be the predictor. I imagine sub species may come into play as well. I'm aware that some ferals are really meat pigs in wild boar clothing.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that is pretty accurate from what I have seen.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the pic of the "shield" on this boar I shot--

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1621043/m/1441030432

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That one is VERY impressive.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, If I may ask, what is a good 30-30 wildcat for wild pigs. I just got a contender to go with the Encore because of the larger amount of used barrels
Thanks Aaron

The OP's pig looks ready for cleanen and cooken!!

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The good ol' 30-30 works fine, but rounds like the 30-30 AI, 7mm Bullberry, 7-30 Waters and 6.5x30-30 AI provide some undeniable benefits. I've also killed them with the 25-35 and 25x30-30AI.

Also, in case you happen upon some of the custom barrels, the 6.5 Bullberry IMP is, for all practical purposes, the same as the 6.5x30-30 AI save for an insignificant amount of neck length.

From rifle-length barrels, you can safely expect the following:

25x30-30 and 25x30-30AI - 2700 fps with 100s; 2900 fps with 80s

6.5x30-30 AI - 2750 fps with 100s, 2600 fps with 120s

7-30 Waters - 2675-2700 fps with 120s and 2575-2600 fps with 140s

30-30 AI - 2550 fps with 150 grain

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll do a little more home work and get with MGM or another and try me a wildcat.
Thanks Aaron

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3006va:
Thanks for the reply. I'll do a little more home work and get with MGM or another and try me a wildcat.
Thanks Aaron

Aaron, I've got a 13" MGM .30-30 AI barrel for my Contender that is very accurate and fun to shoot hogs (and other critters) with. On Bobby's recommendation, I loaded up some 125 grain Nosler ballistic tips over IMR 4198 and have been so pleased with their performance that I haven't tried anything else. This cartridge is easy to load for and Hornady dies were readily available from Grafs.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer the .284dia+ for pigs. But I don't like taking head shots just in case it has a decent skull.

With all due respect, learn to shoot. Pigs don't have bullet proof skulls. Head shots kill a lot of hogs.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Gatogordo, I have killed many big boars up to 90+ kilos with 55 gn Noslers in a Sako .222 with head shots, lung shots , worked very well.
Cheers

Posts: 7 | Location: NSW, Australia | Registered: 03 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that this comment was in reference to saving the skull for a European mount.