New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 gr partition for big hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who has experence with .308 200gr partitions in the 2500 fps range on hogs up to the 200 lbs? How did they do, say under 100 yards? Thanks for any thoughts.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used 180 gr. partitions in 300 weatherby going 3000fps. Hogs fell over dead on impact--shots were 90-150 yds.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Unless you go Texas Heart shots on the biggest hogs, you'll likely punch right though both shoulders.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That bullet will kill the biggest hog that walks the earth, if the shooter does his part.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will give you very dead pigs.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand questions and threads like this... Just shoot the hog in the head! It is by far the biggest part of them. I have shot truckloads of hogs, and can count on one finger the number I shot somewhere other than the head... In my experience there is almost no need to ever do that.

It doesn't take 200 grains of lead at 3k fps to kill a pig... The last one I shot was at a lazered 257 yards, and was shot through the lungs with a 130-grain 270 bullet. Although not DRT, that was one mighty sick pig, and immediately so.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I was told I will be shooting out to 100 yards at night in thick cover. My thoughts were that the 200gr bullets might be better for angling shots where heads wern't available. The rifle I have that I like to fly with (take down ) is 30-06, so that is why that caliber. I wanted to try the bigger bullets, but wasn't sure if 200 was too big for that speed, but sounds like they are worth a try. Will let you know when I get back first of Febuary how thing turned out.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under normal conditions, you want to draw a mental line between the point of the hog's shoulder and his eye. A hit anywhere along this line will produce an immediate kill on the hog. The other normal hog shot is to aim right at or behind the base of the ear.

The most common mistake in shooting hogs is to treat them as though they were deer and to go for the high lung shot. This will usually give you a gut-shot hog, and is the primary reason for their "bullet proof" reputation. Do not aim behind the shoulder on hogs.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Limited experience on hogs, but can't imagine that a quality 200 grain bullet wouldn't do the job. I tend to shoot for the brain or neck right behind the skull, so a .223 would do fine. My last pig took a 286 gr. soft quartering away right behind the jaw, exit out the off eye. Needless to say, there was no follow-up.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Just added a thread on a 250+lb hog taken with a 150gr Core Lokt. 200gr would do fine

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DLS:
That bullet will kill the biggest hog that walks the earth, if the shooter does his part.

I'll 2nd. that. 200 gr. partition is very strong hog medicine.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have killed hundreds of them with 180 grain NP's. They work great.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote