Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitter Check?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
Has anyone hunted here or heard anything about it? I got a pig, bobcat and coyote hunt with them that I got on Ebay.

http://wildhoghunt.com/index2.htm

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I do not know why I am responding, since I have not hunted with them. I have been through Gonzales many times as I have family down the road in Goliad. There should certainly be some good hog country in there, but the web site seems a bit overexcited. Let us know if you get too scared to stay out at night and if you see any black panthers!

Again, there is some excellent brush country in the area and no reason you should not be able to find pigs and coyotes on a decent ranch. As for bobcats, I could not say but I am sure they are present.

Best of luck and take lots of pictures to post when you get back. When do you hunt?

Edited: You might want to PM fla3006 as I understand he has a place between Gonzales and Cuero and may have some information for you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is a bit over the top. Really the only reason I am going is that I bought the hunt for 80 buck in an ebay auction. That comes to right around 300 all inclusive for 2 pigs any size, 2 bobcats (not holding my breath) and coyotes. I think thats a pretty good deal.

I haven't booked a date yet but need to go before June.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
I agree that it is a bit over the top. Really the only reason I am going is that I bought the hunt for 80 buck in an ebay auction. That comes to right around 300 all inclusive for 2 pigs any size, 2 bobcats (not holding my breath) and coyotes. I think thats a pretty good deal.

I haven't booked a date yet but need to go before June.

I would definitely try to get out there early as unless we have a cool summer it will be hot. However it works out it should be better than sitting behind a desk or holding down the couch, which is what I will probably be doing.

Good luck.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
When does it start to get really hot? I was thinking to try and got at the end of March or maybe April.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really start to get hot? Well, it was in the 80s two weeks ago and last week we had a couple of days where it didn't get much above 40. I would say you can count on minimum highs in the 80s and possibly 90s. One year, we had triple-digit temps the first week in April.

I've got hog hunters coming mid-March and the end of March and I told them to be ready for anything from t-shirt to sweatshirt weather.

And, sounds like you did OK on the buy. I charge $75 per hunter per day, with 2 hunters and two days minimum.

And as far as the big boars only moving at night-the first hog I saw yesterday afternoon was the largest of 25 pigs I saw, and he appeared at 5:15. Lots depends on hunting pressure.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
When does it start to get really hot? I was thinking to try and got at the end of March or maybe April.

March or April should be okay, but as dustoffer points out it is extremely variable. Could be quite warm or iced up in March. My pick for hunting all day would be March but April may work just fine. Late May/June could be too toasty.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:

And, sounds like you did OK on the buy. I charge $75 per hunter per day, with 2 hunters and two days minimum.

What other costs are there in your hunt?

This one was 305 for 2 days of hunting, food, lodging, guide fees, etc. basically everything included but the tags and 5 day license.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I mentioned in a PM to bulldog that our area (Hochheim, between Gonzales & Cuero) has a fair amount of hogs around the river but probably not quite as many as other parts of South or East Texas. The boys on two sides of me hunt pretty regularly (on my property too I suspect) and two weeks ago they had a hog contest in Cuero and guys were out all over the country on horseback & scooters with dogs running them down. They like to thin them out just before they plant milo & corn in the bottoms. We need alot more rain before they can plant though.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone-go to the big game forum and read the posts there. I would say these guys need to be avoided like the plague, and that seems to be how they treat their paying guests.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM Sent!

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
OK so I have decided that I am going to get rid of this hunt on ebay or something(any ideas?). The worst thing is I just talked to my friend and he also bought one of these hunts. Needless to say he wasn't too happy about it after I told him what I had found out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bulldog563 I sent you a PM about our hunts, but we are booked up for this spring.