Find
Notify
Tools

Missouri hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted
Anyone hunt hogs in missouri? Dept of conservation says their are a few isolated groups of pigs in the southern counties. Id love to go shoot a few!!! Ive heard they are tough to hunt because they are wide spread with low numbers. Anyone know anything about these pigs?

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh-I'm from Poplar Bluff originally but in hog hunting heaven now (South Texas), and read an article in the PB paper about some hunters shooting several in the Wappapello lake area. Don't have any other ideas though.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in the middle of Mo. wild hog country. and they are very hard to find. Most are shot by accident. A number of places I was ghoing to hunt had traps set by individuals or Conservation Dept. Very difficult to get a wild hog in Mo.

posted Hide Post
I live in SEMO, and hog hunt around wappapello lake. I shot 3 last year. I was hog hunting at the time.

Yes, they are trapping them and there are a lot of people hunting them. BUT.....if you are willing to walk and put some effort into it you can kill one. They say that you have to kill @80% of the hog population a year just to keep them from spreading. This pressure makes them hard to hunt but not impossible.

It is a LOT of fun and they are great to eat.

good luck

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Were you hunting on public land? Corp of engineers land or something?

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 fourth, whats the secret ? I hunt in western Iron Co. everytime I find a good spot and bait them up ,someone else puts in a trap (locals) they only time I've had any luck is driving forest roads near water late in the evenings in a pickup with a shooter in the bed. The hogs around here are nocturnal.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I was in Missouri last spring when buying my turkey license there was a poster that read, shoot all wild hogs you see! Said something about them becoming a real problem. We didn't see any sign of any, too far north we were.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted

posted Hide Post
I hunt corp. of engin. land and MDC land. Yes, there is a LOT of pressure on the hogs. We see lots of sighn, but not many hogs. THey move with only a little pressure and go noctournal. You have to put lots of miles in and get away from the roads. Walking/pushing thickets is also a good way to do it. THere is also lots fo trapping going on. You just have to be willing to put in the time.

thanks
224TTH