Notify
Tools

Texans pass Bill to help control population
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
quote:
Hunting feral hogs from the air by state permitted helicopter companies has been legal in Texas. But HB 716 now allows anyone with a hunting license to load into a helicopter, and zoom out to the hunt. No training is required.

Helicopter Hog Hunting Article

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone had better come up with some tng for both nunters and pilot because I fear there will be more accidents. In the last two years there have been two accidents in Frio county alone. One both hunter and pilot were killed and the other the chopper hit a power line and both pilot and shooter were severly burned.It is easy to get caught up in fast pace of the shoot and make mistakes. No pig is worth a crash. Choppers do an excellent job of reducing the population but I fear we might be creating a super race of wild hogs.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boys and girls, can you spell "expensive"? I think you can...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One price I have heard of is 600/hunter/hour

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried an ultralight? Low, slow and MUCH cheaper to operate than a helicopter. And yes, there are two-seaters.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
duckman is spot on--I spent a career in the green uniform flying 'choppers, and low and slow is a recipe for disaster. No time to react, and no airspeed to trade for altitude.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Expense is one issue, the other is that the hunt is limited to one property, can't just fly off across the country side poppin' pigs. Hogs qill just migrate on to the properties that either don't allow the copters or are too small.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hogs qill just migrate on to the properties that either don't allow the copters or are too small.

You hit the nail on the head!! I have been hunting behind chopper shoots with dogs for the last six or seven years and have not had any problem catching hogs.I believe that the hogs will leave or hide if they can when they hear a chopper if they have been shot at before.Just as a side note, I had a rancher ask me to fly over a 100 acre high fence pasture and count the bucks in there. After the flight was over we had counted 2 bucks and he just laughed and told us there were 15 bucks in the pasture.When you are up there it looks like you can see everything but you can't.When the animals get used to the chopper the less you see.