Find
Notify
Tools

It's been a while since I shot a pig!!! Part II
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted
Setting, South Texas hunting cull bucks on the ranch we kill pigs.

Another of our group went to one of the elevated stands with an old timer of the ranch, (they wanted to test his knowledge of aging deer). This particular stand is a hit or miss in productivity , it sits at an intersection of two senderos and also overlooks a plowed field with a feeder in the field and a feeder down one of the senderos. Deer action was slow but the pigs were out. My friend took out a sow under the feeder in the field (about 200 yards) and then had another sounder come to the other feeder (about 180 yards). In this sounder he observed a pig that appeared to be frothing at the mouth and before he could shoot they spooked and were gone. As they waited til dark a sow with piglets came out at a feeder waaaaay down the sendero, at a tripod bow blind. My friends guide encouraged him to air out his 300 wsm and take out the sow. He was a little apprehensive as One, he couldn't get a consistent reading on the range finder and Two, he had never shot that far. After much more prodding, he lined up on the sow, checked his wind and held off for the shot. As it was getting dark, the 300 WSM hand loads lit up the sendero and his guide excitedly announced "I think you Freaking hit it". Recovering from the recoil, he was able to see the hit and felt that it was good. The other pigs didn't spook, so he got down and headed down to see if he could shoot another. As he kept walking he realized that it was a lot further than he thought, as he had only closed about half the distance and he was still nearly 500 yards out. When his guide caught up to him in the truck, the other pigs busted off the feeder so they went on down and low and behold there lay the sow with a hole right through her head. By the odometer it was .55 miles, later that weekend we lazered it a 977 yards. That is going to be tough to top, but for the long range shooter, we have shots to 1500 yards on known pig trails.

His trophy 977 yard sow

My friend will say that luck played a big part of the shot, maybe, yet he knew his ballistics and we shoot to 300 and 400 yards at the range, so I believe there was skill and confidence in his shooting that played a bigger part in this accomplishment

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Half a mile? Eeker

Wow.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont get why they wont show their faces?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I didn't get his permission to post his photo before I posted the story so I did what I thought was right and blurred his features.

Sorry it bothered you?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote