Find
Notify
Tools

Pig hunt near Abilene
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
My friend Jared and I went pig hunting last weekend on a ranch not far from Abilene. It was a free hunt that another friend of mine had won in a raffle and was not interested in going. The landowner had feeders and stands but we hunted by spotting and stalking. We were instructed on the property boundaries, told not to shoot the cows and then left alone. Jared hunted with a Ruger 77 in 30’06 with 180 grain Nosler Partitions and a Marlin Lever gun in 35 Remington with 200 grain Core-Lokts. I hunted with my Chapuis 9.3X74 double rifle with 286 grain Privi bullets. We both killed 3 grown pigs apiece plus we took out four of the young pigs. The landowners were adamant about killing all the hogs we could. The previous week they had had a helicopter on the ranch and had taken out 35 or so. We got our pigs on 3 separate stalks while they were coming out to eat in wheat fields. On another occasion while stalking hogs, We almost had a shot at a coyote but he was over three hundred yards away and wouldn’t come any closer to my call. Cows nearby were also an issue. Too bad, as I would have liked to have taken a coyote from that distance with my double. I got good performance with the Privi bullets. The big sow in the last pic of me was shot far behind so as to angle the bullet towards her off side shoulder. It had about 2.5 feet of penetration and broke the offside shoulder. I recovered the bullet under the skin and it weighed 261.5 grains. Muzzle velocity was 2300 fps. Not bad for a cheap bullet. Most of our shots were around the 150 yard range. I did shoot smaller sow in heavy brush after we were looking for our pigs and it left a big hole in her side. The Privi bullets probably work best from a reduced velocity and longer distance though I don’t think any of the pigs noticed.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I love it. Hog hunting is just plain made for double rifles, big bore revolvers and lever guns. Good going I wish I was hog hunting right now but it's been a couple years,
Keep posting the photo's so I can continue to live vicariously.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys had fun! Nice pigs; I like that rifle too!

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Akshooter--I have to disagree. Hog hunting is made for whatever gun/bow/knife/sword/spear you have!!! And, maybe even for claymore mines!!!

RAC and Jared--you did the rancher a favor--and had fun to boot! And, those tenderloins, slow simmered in butter with minced garlic and chopped onion, served up with buttered pasta---Um Um Good!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job fellas.

tu2

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That is just too much fun!!

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote