Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes Solid
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
I see no reason to use a "solid" per se, but am quite fond of their X bullets for hogs. I suppose they really are solids (monometal), but not in the conventional sense of the word because they expand; solids do not. I've shot several pigs with X bullets and have yet to recover one (a bullet that is). Exit wounds bleed far more than entrance wounds, which is critical when shooting an animal whose fat tends to "seal" smaller holes, limiting the blood trail that you usually have to follow into thick unpleasant terrain, often in poor light. Sure, they're expensive, but nearly every premium bullet is. I shoot them because I've gained confidence in their ability to penetrate like crazy and provide a relatively large exit wound that bleeds enough to lead right to a dead critter.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone had in experience using a Barnes Solid on wild boar? Considering it, but quite a hefty prince tag at $29 fir 50!

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote